Why do doctors love levothyroxine?!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, this is a combined question with a rant attached!! I've been on high doses of levothyroxine for the last eight years and as the doctors kept increasing the dose the worse my symptoms got and they eventually diagnosed chronic fatigue syndrome (which I am dubious about).

They have now decided I don't need as much medication (if any) as there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with my thryoid (just a little small due to the meds). I find it a strange coincidence that I'm on much lower doses and starting to see a very slight improvement this week.

Whenever I suggest to my doctors that levothyroxine is making me worse or that NDT/natural hormones might be a better way to go they always brush it off saying it's not the case!

Is it possible for the medication to make you worse? I'm sure I've heard others with similar experiences of levothyroxine

1 like, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Can u go privately at all?

• Posted

Hi Cindy. Yes I did some research to find the best endo in my area and I paid to see a private endo at the back end of last year. That's how the misdiagnosis came to light! So glad I did
    • Posted

Luckily he works on the nhs too and I'm seeing him for free next week
    • Posted

Hi 

That is great. Did you have any problems switching from private to NHS at all?

Hope that you do not mind my asking?

• Edited

Hello

Would you mind my asking for this endocrinologist details?

I have a PM facility.

Many thanks in anticipation.

• Posted

Hi Cindy,

I asked to get referred to an endocrinologist on the nhs and they put me on a 4.5 month waiting list as my problems were apparently non urgent. But my hair was falling out, my heart was crazy and I was so exhausted that I found this guy and booked an appointment with him in the interim. It was good to get his initial thoughts and treatment plan and told me that the tests were expensive so I might as well hang fire and get the nhs to do them for me. When I got to see someone on the nhs it was a different person and I explained I had seen this guy privately and could I be transferred to his clinic for my next appointment and it wasn't a problem. He isn't the best communicator, but he really does know his stuff when it comes to thyroid and looked at the whole picture to try and treat my symptoms (he even got my doctors to test for lymes disease which is totally unrelated, but it was to rule things out which I thought was excellent). He's based in Reading, Berkshire- I'll pm you his details

• Posted

Thanks for the info.

This endo sounds brilliant because I have often wondered if I have or had Lyme disease. I certainly had the signs and symptoms.

I cannot believe that drs are  so indifferent.

Gratefully yours Cindy

• Posted

Hi Cindy, Yes the symptoms can be similar to hypo symptoms and it hadn't even crossed my mind until he suggested it. They said it's very hard to test for, so they often give you a course of certain antibiotics and if you have the disease it will generally get rid of it
    • Posted

Hi caz, can I have his details too please? I'm trying a gastroenterologist first to see if I've got the parasite blastocystis hominis. After that I may well be looking for another viewpoint. Thank you.
    • Posted

Thanks. I did not know this.

How does one know if one has got rid of it anyway when the thyroid sreening can vary so much?y

• Posted

Hi Cindy I assume the symptoms would subside (mine didn't, so they think I never had it). Im sure you could probably pay someone a lot of money (and I think it would be expensive) to have tests done and confirm, but I hear it is very difficult to diagnose
    • Posted

Hi Caz

I am sorry but I don't follow.

What were your thyroid levels at the time of diagnosis?

• Posted

Sorry Cindy I thought you were referring to lymes disease. My t4 was within range and my Tsh was 5.5 (only borderline). So to be sure, they should have found out the root cause of this through thyroid function tests, hashimotos test, mineral panel blood tests, adrenal tests and ultrasound to check for structural problems in the thyroid. Im guessing my levels would have gone back to normal eventually had they not treated me, but it is difficult to tell.
    • Posted

Hi Caz

Is it possible to communicate by private e mail address?

If not I will understand.

• Posted

Hi

What tests were done to confirm the diagnosis of CFS?

• Posted

Hi lucy, unfortunately there arent any tests for cfs, which is why a lot of thyroid patients get this diagnosis in addition to hypothyroidism. The symptoms are very similar. It is usually diagnosed after all other conditions are ruled out. You will probably have a lot of blood tests and usually when they don't know whats wrong, this is usually what they tell you. Im not convinced I have it. Looking at these forums, I believe it's related to the medication I am taking (levothyroxine) as my symptoms were no where near this bad before I took it.
    • Posted

Hi

​Thanks for your reply. 

​Have you tried alternative thyroid meds at all?

​Lucy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.