Why do gynaecologists prefer hysterectomy to uterine embolization?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Having consulted 3 different gynaecologists about my two large fibroids, all of them suggested Hysterectomy, they did not even want to talk about UFE. It was me who suggested it and my gynaecologist had to approve it, but she clearly was pushing for an hysterectomy.

The reasons that they were giving me was that UFE is painful (and hysterectomy?), that it might not be definitive (well, I can always have it if embolization does not work), that I avoid any chance of cancer (sure, let's remove the bowels so I do not have colon cancer....).

So can anybody explain why they are so opposed to uterine embolization?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

i had the opposite experience when was told by two docs to try UFE for my enormous fibroids . I was reluctant until wound up in hospital with extreme blood loss and felt i had no choice when third doc at hospital offered it as a solution prior to hysterectomy . I sincerely regret the decision as the "procedure" is extremely painful and i feel like i have permanent damage to my arteries and nerves in my pelvis and thighs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.