why do i constantly feel nausea?

Posted , 175 users are following.

I am constantly feeling sick!! it doesnt start first thing in the morning but throughout the day it just emerges. its now at the point where i choose not to eat if i feel sick because i completely loose my appetite, which is making it worse because im then hungry too( but eating just makes it worse)

I also have severe emetaphobia (the fear of vomit) so i am constantly worried about being sick due to it(another reason i dont eat if i feel sick, to prevent vomiting)

I have counselling for the emetaphobia so when i feel sick it is cast off as being 'in my head' by my counsellor and family.

i feel like i am stuck because i dont want to go to the doctors incase they give me any medication that has vomiting as a side effect but i cant keep feeling the way i feel because it is taking over my life.

There has got to be a cause for the nausea, i refuse to believe it is my 'anxiety' from emetaphobia that is making me feel this way.

I sometimes have really bad headaches that last for 5-10 minutes consisting of sharp pains in the head and over the eyes. I also have shooting pains in my lower abdomen, but whether this is linked to the nausea i dont know.

Any suggestions????

19 likes, 292 replies

292 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi everyone, 

I was feeling nauseous almost constantly, kind of like a motion sickness feeling so I went to my doctor and she figured it out for me. She said that i had Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo and she told me to do the Epley maneuver in order to treat it. I read up on BPPV and it says that the main symptom is vertigo, which i didn't have, but the manuver for it still worked really well and my nausea went away. Try looking the maneuver up on youtube, it really helped me! Hope it works for you too.

• Posted

karina, I cannot thank you enough for this information as I believe my nausea problems could be from vertigo...I'm going to def make an appt with my ENT to have her check my ears out.  Now it's all making sense to me!!! Thank you so much!

love this site!

Frustrated

• Posted

I was once diagnosed with vertigo back in 2010 I wonder if that's wats causing my nausea
  • Posted

I've had the exact same symptoms for about 3 weeks now. I noticed it when I started taking antibiotics for tonsillitis and I thought I was just having a reaction to the antibiotics and they were making me feel sick. I called my doctor to see if they could help but they just advised me to continue with them, so naturally I thought that after the course had finished the nausea would go away but I guess I was wrong. So yesterday I thought enough was enough, this wasn't going to go away on it's own as it seemed and I was fed up missing college because I couldn't use the bus (It made it a million times worse and I was so worried I was going to throw up on someone). So I went to the doctors and my gp told me that it was most likely excess acid left behind from being ill, he said it was incredibly common and the symptoms could take months to disappear. He gave me some capsule tablets (incedibly easy to swallow) which suppress the acid which has managed to stop the food pipe and stomach from being water tight (it allows some food to go back into the food pipe, thus making you feel nauseous) and some antisickness tablets. So far they've been good, I still feel sick from time to time but in just a day I feel a million times better! I'd definitely recommend visiting the doctors as there's nothing worse that constantly feeling sick and it takes over your life! I've noticed as a lot of the people replying have previously been on antibiotics it could be the same thing that I'm experiencing! I hope this helps! :D 
  • Posted

Hi, I am 16, and I have recently been getting this same type of thing. And it was all of a sudden. I used to love eating food. I'd come home from school and stuff my face but now I feel lost because I just can't do that anymore. I've been skipping out on dinner lately and I can't seem to eat as much. My parents think that it's my anxiety but I'm not so sure. I feel sometimes nausous after eating and I'm not sure if maybe it's because I'm not eating enough or if I'm eating too little or maybe even if I have some sort of condition. I wanted to come here before asking my mom to bring me to the doctors. FYI this also all started when I saw some kid get sick on the bus... So I feel like this is all in my mind but I'm not sure. I've never been this bad and I've always had a love for food. ANY help would be great at this time, please and thank you.
    • Posted

Hey there! I have the exact same thing, except it has started to get easier with time. I've had it for around 4 months now? Mine started all of a sudden too. I also have anxiety and after trying anti-acid medicine which did not work my doctor thought it may have been that. Also, do you have a phobia of being sick? Or health anxiety where you worry about that? As I think that's part of my problem too. Although currently I have a sickness bug and I think it has helped me because I feel less scared about being sick as it's not too bad. Try drinking a lot of water and take a bag or something out with you for reassurance - it will give you a piece of mind! You could always try the anti acid but to me it sounds more like health anxiety. Do you have therapy or anything for your anxiety? 
    • Posted

I'm Dany and I have a the same symptoms for almos a year and they did All kinds of blood test and poop samples and all has come back negative and well my famyli tell me maybe people that don't like u did a spell or budo thing on u may u eat something that they fix just for u and there I go to this lady and I just feel the same No changes on how I feel how I think I am lactose intolerant because I just fell nauseous all day and night doesn't goes away I did fell good the first days that I was supposable cleanse me or free me of the thing and I'm going to try vertigo thing to about the ears I'm sensitive on my ears
    • Posted

Yes I do have a phobia of getting sick(emetophobia) and it's terrible. That and my anxiety mixed don't make a good feeling. But yes that has been one of my main things lately is drinking a lot of water. I do believe that this may just be in my mind but I'm not sure. And I haven't tried any anti-acids yet. I haven't been to the doctors yet about this. But as of now I should be getting a counselor to talk to. Maybe it will help change the way I think and make my anxiety die down. It should work since I've heard they can be good.
  • Posted

I dont force feed myself. I am 13 and I haven't felt well since the start of january when I accidentally drank milk and orange juice but I wasnt sick because I wouldn't allow myself to. But ever since then I feel sick alot of the time esspecially when I eat. It is hard to get to sleep and I sometimes I get dizzy. I sadly can't find anything about this exept pregnant things (I'm pretty sure that I'm not! ) so if anyone can find something pleeaase help us sad
    • Posted

Do you have any known anxiety possibly? I feel like I'm getting better now but yeah if you have anxiety it'll cause hell. And just because you didn't lt yourself means that now your mind is making think everything will make you sick. It's horrible. I had that happen to me.
    • Posted

I dont think that I suffer from anxiety but the sickness wares off if I taje my glasses off. Thanks for replying and for the help
    • Posted

No problem. And if it happens when you take off your glasses maybe it's some sort of visual issue that's causing the nausea. Are you dizzy when you take them off?
  • Posted

Hey, I found this too! Could be an intolerance (or many). Mine's lactose. I used to eat cereal every morning, so every morning I'd wake up fine, then progressively get worse after breakfast. You'd be surprised how many things contain milk... Even bread sometimes! Biscuits, gravy, everything. It's been hard but over the last few years I've gradually cut milk out completely and now I'm much much better! Soya makes me feel dodgy too though, so I try to use rice milk. Seems a lot more expensive, but if you drop to Tesco Value corn flakes (really nice these days actually) at the same time the cost more or less evens out smile
  • Posted

Ooooh if it gets better when you take glasses off get a new optician. Could be you have double vision caused by bad prescription from another optician, or badly made glasses, or natural causes. That will be an expensive pair of glasses though, so look after them!
  • Posted

Its amazing to see all of these other posts of people who have the same exact thing happening to them. Ive had this same problem for over a year now. Ive gone to stomach doctors, endocrine doctors for hormonal issues, got my vision checked, ears and vertigo issues checked and still they find nothing wrong with me. It started last January 2013 with a stomach bug and then a course of antibiotics for an infection i had after that I experienced chronic nausea, occasional stomach pain in the upper abdomen, dizziness cold sweats and heart racing tension headaches when the nausea occurs ( but doesnt always happen with the nausea). The nausea is usually the worst early in the morning from 1:00-4 am for some weird reason but comes about all throughout the day. Eating food can be hard because sometimes as soon as i put the food in my mouth i instantly feel sick. I also have had a fear of getting sick since I was a child. I would like to think its just anxiety but doesnt it seem a bit weird that most of the people on this thread had this develop right after a virus or a round of antibiotics? Ive come to the point where i dont know what else to do, i feel doomed to feel like this for the rest of my life. Ive screwed up jobs and college and even relationships due to this because im sick all the time and cant commit to anything anymore. I can barely make it through the day. It is nice to know that there are others out there with the same problems I just wish someone found the answer to the problem. I dont know how much longer I can deal feeling like this!
    • Posted

I feel bad for all you people, I have been suffering from all of those you guys are taking about , about 16 years , I tought I was crazy and the doctors think I am crazy
    • Posted

I get a sick feeling if I am hungry and If I don't eat I feel nautious. I also have random pains in upper and lower abdomin and my ribs are sore on both sides. My upper back is also giving me a dull constant ach.had ultra sound and blood work all came out good had an upper GI only found mild Gastritis, I can't Stand this anymore...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.