why do i constantly feel nausea?

Posted , 175 users are following.

I am constantly feeling sick!! it doesnt start first thing in the morning but throughout the day it just emerges. its now at the point where i choose not to eat if i feel sick because i completely loose my appetite, which is making it worse because im then hungry too( but eating just makes it worse)

I also have severe emetaphobia (the fear of vomit) so i am constantly worried about being sick due to it(another reason i dont eat if i feel sick, to prevent vomiting)

I have counselling for the emetaphobia so when i feel sick it is cast off as being 'in my head' by my counsellor and family.

i feel like i am stuck because i dont want to go to the doctors incase they give me any medication that has vomiting as a side effect but i cant keep feeling the way i feel because it is taking over my life.

There has got to be a cause for the nausea, i refuse to believe it is my 'anxiety' from emetaphobia that is making me feel this way.

I sometimes have really bad headaches that last for 5-10 minutes consisting of sharp pains in the head and over the eyes. I also have shooting pains in my lower abdomen, but whether this is linked to the nausea i dont know.

Any suggestions????

19 likes, 292 replies

292 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi ii to suffer from the phobia and also feel constantly sick I thought I was going mad as health professionals said it was all in my mind, I have now realised its the nausea which causes the phobia of course your scared of being sick if you keep feeling like it anyone would. I found a new gp he was brilliant he said I was feeling sick due to a condition called Ford he gave me metroclopramide tablets they were great and soon the sick feeling eased as soon as it did so did my phobia although I still avoid things like alcohol and fussy with food in case it makes me vomit lol, I hope I helped you as my problem is as identical to yours please email me if neede, look up these tablets there brill _____

Patient Moderator Note: I have removed an e-mail address from this reply as it is the policy of patient.info to not publish these within the forums. If any user is interested in this removed information they should contact the author via the Private Messaging system requesting such. Thank you for your cooperation.

patient.info/forums/discuss/private-messages-226361

• Posted

Hi Karen ~

I've looked and looked to no avail and cannot find out what the condition "ford" is.  I'm having all the experiences that other's here are regarding feeling nauseated etc...Had my gallbladder taken out then half of my thyroid and on and on.  There's nothing left for them to remove.  for real.  So if you don't mind me asking, what is the condtion, Ford?  Does it have to do with this awful feeling of being nauseated all the time?

Thank you

Frustrated

• Posted

Hi I'm sorry about that it was a misspelling I meant to say gord I've had this since I was16 I'm now 39 but I do feel better now I'm on metroclopramid antisickness drug, but some days I do get scared to go out if I'm having a bad day constantly rubbing my chest and burping drives me mad
    • Posted

Hi Karen, just reading your post - I have emetaphobia and saw you had something called ford? Could you tell me a little about the other symptoms you had? I've suddenly started feeling nauseas last few years in cars and especially after drinking but never used to. Think my phobia is getting out of control and dictating these symptoms but sounds like the medication you took worked? Any help would be awesome as I'm running out of ideas. Reassuring to hear someone else has found a solution to the phobia and nausea...
    • Posted

I'm exactly the same as you! Minus the operations, why are we feeling.like.this!!
    • Posted

I think she meant to say GERD - gastroesophageal reflux disease
    • Posted

Karen, I too have suffered from nausea almost every day for five years. I too was prescribed metaclopramide. It was a miracle drug. I have just stopped taking it because it has severe side effects after long term use. It has caused neurological damage in face, I now have a horrible twitch, wich is really embarrassing. It also caused severe anxiety and panic attacks. I just saw a Dr who told me the medication comes with multiple black box warnings. Stopping the medicine was so hard, because now I feel sick all the time. It impacts my life. But my anxiety has subsided. Please do not use this medicine long-term! Google reglan, wich is the real name, and the lawsuits. I have tried to go natural because now I'm scared to try any medication. Peppermint oil helps some. I tried ginger but it doesn't help. I hope to find the cause of my nausea or some way to stop it. Have you found anything that makes you feel better? Please take my metaclopramide warning seriously as it has destroyed my life lime the nausea.... Hope all is well. Stashia
  • Posted

I have the exact same feelings and aslo the fear if sick!!i struggle to sleep at all in the night and have had to run to the toilet on numerous occasions but then the feeling would just pass.i also have head aches under my eyes and constant pain in my upper stomach i have difficulty swallowing and sore throats.Ive been like this for 5 months and the situation is just getting worse. i have also lost a lot of weight over these few months and lost my appitite.

It started off with a simple sickness bug which lasted two days.i then had an allergic reaction and all my lips were swollen.i went to my local gp and they give me treatment for my mouth and antibiotics because of a chest infection.a week later my whole throat was swollen and i had tonslitis so on top of the antibiotics i was now taking ibuprofen and paracetamol.i went back to school two weeks later for 2 days and was sent home.my mother then took me to hospitial where we waited 7 hours but then gave up.a couple of nights later i had a stroke and was taken in hospital again,the doctor said i was taking to much medication and thats why it happened ever since then these symptoms have started.

I went to see a consultant who has arranged for me to have an endoscopy at the end if the month.ive also had 6 blood test which have all come back clear.

My pain in my stomach and the feeling of nausea usually gets worse as the day goes on but some days im awful all day!i cant seem to do anything and all i do is lie down.

I hope they find out whats causing it so it can stop!!its awful. 

• Posted

i understand where your coming from i got the gastro virus and had it for 3weeks and now im left always having this nausea feeling. i dont have an appetite and find myself force feeding myself, wish I could have the love for food I did before. I get like a hot and cold flush then I start to feel nauseas I sometimes have a heavy chest then get like a hot flush then get the nausea feeling, iv had to leave my work because of it.. iv been told it will go away in time but it I feel like it’s taken over my life.  
    • Posted

Hi Jessiah.        I'm Jane Just reading your blog from a year ago , I was wondering did you get over you sickness if so did you fined out what caused it ,,reason I asking I have had this yucky sicky feeling for a month now if it was possible I would think I was pregnant . So I'm wondering if its hormonal,if  you are still on this blog  could you tell me know if you are better ,,also ihow long did it last 

• Posted

I know this is old but I once was a healthy young adult up until 5 months ago I started feeling nauseous really bad I'm afraid of throwing up so I'm constantly taking nausea medicine. I stay going to the ER for the same problem. Well recently I had a uti(urinary tract infection ) the doctors think that's what causing my nausea bt I'm convinced it's something else I just started my new job and had to call off because I keep feeling sick.I don't know what else to do I just want to go back to being normal I want my life back.
    • Posted

l also started with bouts of severe debilitating nausea, out of the blue, my third bout lasted months, off my food, lost weight, finally got a scope and told gastritus, but even gastrologist didnt think the gastritus explained severe nausea, still gave me omprazole and it settled 90ercent, stil get little flare up. lve had intersticial cystitus for many years, with occassional bacterial cystitus, l asked urologist if it could be connected, and he said not, so you wonder at conflicting meds opinions,  re your later post l started with vertigo many years ago, still get frequent tinnitus, dont know if there,s connection, l,d also like normality, but worse to deal with at your age, ask your gp to refer you to gastrologist.
  • Posted

Every time I go out to eat, I feel nausea and I don't have an appetite. I have to force myself to eat while nauseous. When I go somewhere other than home, I have a heavy feeling in my throat, making me nauseous. I haven't found any answers throughout the internet and I'm getting worried. If you have found out, please tell. I feel the exact same thing. I even sometimes get it randomly at home. I've been having this issue since I got a Stomach Virus a few months ago. I threw up 6 times in one night, then later better. I really have no idea rolleyes
  • Posted

Hello everyone!

So my traumatic constant nausea life started when I had some kind of virus passed on to me by a family member. The feeling of being sick that one time has changed my life. Every day now I battle with dealing with this feeling. I don't like to go to restaurants because I'll have to run in to the bathroom after two bites and try to calm myself down. I also don't like public transportation because the feeling of being sick makes me anxious. I tend to get really hot and have a heavy chest, I try to eat because sometimes I'm hungry and feel that way but eating sometimes just makes it worse. I have no solution for you which I am sorry for but I do have some tips. First of all water and him are your best friends. Whenever I feel got I just take a breath and get some water maybe go outside to calm myself down. Whenever I'm on a bus I chew gum because it makes my mouth feel fresh which helps me. Also I tend to carry a plastic bag with me to tell myself that it's okay to be sick and not to worry about having nowhere to well vomit in (even the word grosses me out) I also suggest that you try to be around people you're comfortable with that way you'll feel calm and relaxed and they can distract you from what you're feeling. I'm in college now so I try to stay in the back of the room near a door or a trash can and make a friend that I can turn to when I need to talk. I hope this helps you all and remember you're not alone. 

• Posted

For nausea try sips of not too hot water (comfortable enough to sip with  raw peeled and finely grated ginger root added to it (a fresh ginger tea).  Be sure to eat a good breakfast.  Sometimes low blood sugar can trigger nausea and it won't go away if you skip meal or eat insufficient nutrients.  Be sure to balance the meal with a source of vegetarian protein (nuts, beans). Natural fat is OK as in nuts and avocados and olives.  But avoid too much added fat (greasy, oily, fried foods) as fat stays longer in the stomach to digest and this can aggravate nausea.  Try eliminating dairy and meat from your diet for a while and see if this helps.  For anyone who has taken antibiotics it is important to replenish friendly good bacteria into your gut by taking a probiotic with bifidum bacteria and others normally found in the intestines.  For everyone and especially anyone who thinks they might be having gastroesphageal reflux GERD (sour stomach, heartburn, belching, burping after eating).  avoid taking liquids with meals. Wait 2 hours after meals before drinking liquids and do not eat within 30 minutes of drinking liquids.  This includes eating liquid food like watery soup and broth.  Too much liquid dilutes stomach digestive juices and impairs digestion.  Try drinking a half glass of water with juice of half a fresh lemon in it.  This helps digestion by lowering the pH and it helps close the sphincter (muscle) at the top of the stomach during eating which prevents gastroesphageal reflux. Taking antacids actually aggravates GERD. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.