Why do i do it

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone. My name is Vicky I'm 26 and married 4 years. I've been a social drinker with my friends and partner ect for about 10 years. But the past 2 years or so I've been drinking a lot more. I suffer from depression and I don't think I'm an alcoholic because I done have withdrawal symptoms and Wen I go without it I feel better. But I drink 2 bottles of wine a night about 4/5 nights a week. If it's over the weekend I'm sometimes out with my friends but otherwise I'm on my own watching tv. Some nights aren't too bad but yesterday morning my husband told me that I was that bed I fell out of bed when I came upstairs. I only drink wine and I think it's maybe a form of escapism tho I'm not sure. I'm starting councilling soon. I dont want to stop altogether I just want to get my priorities straight and limit my drinking to a Saturday night. I used to drink only every other weekend. I'm having a lot of problems in my relationship too and with jobs.

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Vicky, if you want to reduce your drinking, take a look at The Sinclair Method on this page:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/useful-resources-487627

I was a daily drinker, over 80 US beers per week. After starting TSM, I began drinking less as each month I wanted less than the month before. 

Whether or not you're an alcoholic, 2 bottles of wine per night is going to have a substantial negative impact on your physical health, as well as being a depressant in itself. If you're taking any medication for the depression, it's going to work much better without alcohol muddying the waters. 

Along with checking out the link above, I'd suggest you google:

Claudia Christian TEDx talk

an look for the YouTube video of the TEDx talk that Claudia delivered at the London Business School. 

Are you in the US, UK, Oz? 

• Posted

Thank u so much I will give this a go. I live in the UK.
  • Posted

Vow! What a story Vicky!! Great to hear from you and great that you are honest..I was the same but further down a sprial and destroying my family and my own health. It sounds to me like you are ready to change. Perhaps trying to reduce your drinking? What is best for you may not work for others. I stopped stone cold and no medicine but this is not recommended. A lot of people here will give you good advice concerning medication...i really wish you best of luck on your journey. Robin
  • Posted

Hi vicky

That's a big step you have just taken, admitting you have a problem. I don't have AUD Alcohol Use Disorder but I have witnessed it's distruction of my Husband for many years.

My Husband is currently following TSM The Sinclair Method and is doing very well on it. I believe Ade has just sent you some information about this method too.

However, this is only a suggestion, you may want to choose a different method. Have you been to your gp yet? We are not medically trained on this site except for Paul Turner he is a trained nurse.

This is a great site, you will get lots of information.

Please remember though, you are not weak, alcohol is insidious, it creeps up on you and takes hold

Keep posting to us

Kindest Regards

JulieAnne

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.