Why do I feel horrible after I eat??

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've posted here before and explained that I've had my gallbladder removed on 8/5. Its been 18 days but this really happened after a couple days of my GB removal. I started to feel nauseous and now I've noticed after I eat I get super full and uncomfortable and feel sick. I feel so bloated and just super stuffed and feel nauseous and sick for about 3-4 hours. Then I can eat again but it just continues and it's so frustrating. Did anyone get like this after they got their gallbladder removed? I'm so scared I'm going to feel like this forever... This sucks I was so hoping to feel good and great instead I feel all crappy and sick all over. Is it my body adusting? I've been having a fat free diet so no grease or anything I've been eating quite healthy. I've also suffered bouts of diarreah here and there. I'm just so annoyed I can't eat much now, it's worse than when I had my gallbladder what the heck.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dee,

​Just a note I had mine removed August 2,2016 No problems with anything accept I feel tired ALL THE TIME and a little soreness around the belly button.

​i have added eating the not so healthy foods and no problems.

​Just out of curiosity are you in the U.S. i see alot of posting with people having soooo many terrible problems after this surgery just wondering.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I'm in the US. I'm so worried because this makes me feel sick and stops me from eating. I don't have an appetite I think I'm worse than before. Like I was probably better off with the stone inside but I knew at some point it had to come out because I had it stuck in the neck of my gallbladder. It was bound to get worse.. And now this!! I'm so frustrated with my life honestly.

Do you eat and do you feel alright after?

• Posted

You  are welcome it helps to find out how other people are managing this surgery. Like I said I have no problems after I eat including the day of the surgery. Still have pain in the right quadrant in back not sure what that is from primary doctor says get xtray.This is where my pain all began not where the gs is located. Try applesauce & toast I ate that for sometime just because keep me posted. Hope you get better soon.

• Posted

It's not possible to feel like this forever right? 😞 This is slowly making me so depressed. I just want to be alright like everyone else. I'll try to eat but thing is my stomach literally feels like it will explode after I eat and I feel sick for hours. Don't know why I hope this side effect leaves soon. Because I wasn't like this after a very long time that's for sure. Thanks so much I also hope I feel better soon enough.

• Posted

You know Dee nothing last forever if you try and think positive force yourself to eat something such as toast,jello applesauce and walk walk walk for gas release. In due time I think this too shall pass and you should feel back to normal. I know that I have been trying to forget about it and seems to work better if you focus on have's instead of the havenot's.

?Looking for a brighter tomorrow and enjoying the day!

• Posted

I do try to eat even though I know my stomach will feel so comfortable and I'll feel so sick and nauseous for hours. I really am trying. I just want to feel good and not sick. It's so unfair, other people are fine and I just feel like I'm all messed up AGAIN 😔. Everything you mentioned to eat I do eat. It's just I don't know why I feel sick again. It just suddenly came. But I do think it's my body adjusting and I was told it could take months sad. I'm just always scared I'll be sick as I have emetophobia too.

• Posted

I had my gallbladder removed 7/16/16. I have had problems with eating, nausea, pain still sometimes under right rib. Most of all I have anxiety, and fatigue so bad, I can't work yet. I eat fat free, but still get gas bloated, etc. I went to my primary care last week. He told me it can take from 6 months to a year to feel normal for people that are having continued symptoms. He told me that your digestive system has to reprogram itself without the gallbladder. I also have read that your bile has to go through your liver now, and that it can empty, to much or not enough bile, and that it might empty to fast or to slow into the stomach to help digest your food. I can only eat certain foods. I also have a hiatal hernia, and acid reflux. The best medicine I have ever taken is Carafate. It coats your stomach. I take it at night, and Nexium during the day. Some people have bile reflux. So watch for that. I'm praying for all of us that we will get better soon. Do you have anxiety, or feel tired all the time?

• Posted

Thanks for the reply! This post makes me feel better and gives me hope. I'm glad I'm not the only one going through things like this... I just wish we all got better. I just don't know why my stomach feels so uncomfortably full and sick every time I eat. I know it will happen which is why I dread eating. It's the most uncomfortable bloated and pressure feeling then I end up feeling sick for 3-4 hours. I want this to end. What is carafate for if you don't mind me asking, is it like mylanta or maalox, Pepcid? I should ask my doctor about it. Maybe it will help me? I have anxiety but not diagnosed but I feel it's worse now with this. I have emetophobia which makes me severely anxious every time I feel sick.

• Posted

I felt the same fullness, bloating and pressure for awhile, maybe a month to six weeks. It was hard for awhile also I had no appetite. That part will get better soon. The pain gets better also. I have found that if I eat  every two hours just very small meals I do so much better with the bloating and gas.  I just want you to know , the gas and bloating I know is miserable.It will get better. I can't eat any oils or fat. My surgeon said don't eat fat for at least 8 weeks for your gall bladder to adjust. He even said butter. I am able to eat margarine. I also eat avacados everyday for the fat. You need a little fat in your diet, coconut oil, palm oil, and olive oil, maybe you can try them. But don't use much, not for 8 weeks. I can't eat beans, broccoli, etc. gasey foods. I also have chronic constipation just since the gall bladder removal. Most people have the opposite it's crazy. Carafate or suclurafate is like maylanta, but you need an Rx. It helps with acid reflux, ulcers. It costs your stomach. The only thing is it makes you sleepy, and has aluminum in it. I only take 1/2 tab at night. It just has helped settle my stomach during the night so I can sleep. It's not for everyone, since it does make you feel sleepy.   Do you have acid reflux, or bile reflux, or IB? Why I ask is it seems mine other problems have been intensified with the gall bladder removed. I know without a doubt my gall bladder need out. I do feel better as far as the pain, diarrhea, not being able to eat, or sleep. I feel there is a light at the end of the tunnel for us. It's just going to take time.

• Posted

Do you remember if you took anything prior to eating to help with the fullness and bloated gassy feeling? It's hard for me to eat like this at the moment sad. Very difficult. I wonder if all that has fills up and leaves my stomach feeling so tight and hard? I will definitely ask my doctor about carafate; seems stronger than mylanta and so perhaps it will help me better. I don't have constipation instead I have the occasional diarreah sad. Sucks. I just want my stomach to feel normal! I find the only meal I can truly eat in peace is breakfast. Probably because I have been asleep for 7-8 hours and thus I can eat when I awake. I had some cookies at around 3ish and I've been drinking water and my stomach feels so right and full like why? I need to have dinner soon and that makes me anxious because I keep thinking I'll be sick since I'm eating while feeling full. I think it is gas because I feel all these little kicks and stuff and popping sounds in my stomach? And then it rumbles because I know it's hungry sad. I don't even have an appetite how amazing. I needed my gallbladder out too; I had a 4cm gallstone stuck in the neck of the gallbladder. It was either coming or now or when it became worse.

• Posted

Sometimes I would take tums, but that was after I ate and I felt that bloated feeling. You might want to ask your Dr. About GasX, it might help you, or Beano is a natural gas reducer you can put in beans and other foods. I can't take any other medications even over the counter, because I'm allergic to a lot of medications.  If you are able to walk short distances, it helps pass gas. I just suffered like you for so long. I remember, I could only eat like 1/2 cup of like applesauce, and maybe a piece of toast. I would feel so full and bloated, and I had to force myself to eat, because I had no appetite. That has gotten better. Now I can almost eat as much as I did before, but still not greasy, spicy, or gasey foods. Do you ever feel like if you go to long without eating you get nauseous? And then I start feeling a weird panicky, anxious feeling. I do not know what it is but I've had that after my gall bladder was removed, never before. That never goes away. Then if I try to do to much activity of any kind, I start feeling the same way. I went from working 57 hours a week, to only 6 hours a week, and that even makes me very tired, and anxious. I'm 61 years old, before this I could work circles around most people. Am I discouraged, yes! But each day gets a little better, and we have to have some kind of faith that we can get through this. I know you have anxiety also, what do you do for that? I can not take melds for it, so I don't know what to do or where to turn for help with that. Any suggestions?  Oh one more thing. I feel the worst in the morning, I have read that your bile just sits in your stomach until you eat, and then it starts mixing with your stomach juices to digest your food. So in the mornings I Still feel a little nauseous until I eat, then by evening after about 6 pm I start feeling better. Everyone is different, but I hope I have put shed some light on what I have been through. I will pray for you, and I to be made whole again

• Posted

I honestly feel like a piece of toast and 1/2 cup or applesauce would be enough for me but I know I need more food, since I can't eat much, so I force myself to have two pieces of toast and tea in the morning with Jam. I should probably do one piece of toast with jam from now and since I'll be eating less, my snack will probably help later on. I just hate how I feel sick after any meal because it feels like way too much. It's really frustrating, I wasn't like this while I had my stone in. I was eating, not much, but definitely better than this. I had gotten used to being nauseous before but now it came back a couple days after surgery and I had forgotten how that felt since I was so used to it. Actually I always think I'll feel nauseous if I go for long without eating maybe 4-5 hours so I always have crackers with me and water to drink. Even if I don't finish them all I'll have some. I'm really glad you're now able to eat much more than just a piece of toast; mind if I ask how long it too for that to happen? 1 month, 2 months?Are you nauseous now still as well or has that passed? I actually am not taking anything for anxiety as I don't like those pills due to side effects but those vitamin shops have natural pills that can help. Try checking that out, that's actually what I will do and I was also going to check out for enzymes to aid digestion and probiotics. I think that might help my stomach while it's getting accustomed. I actually don't have reflux in the mornings as I sleep with about 2-3 pillows leveled up as im afraid that might happen to me as well. Thus, this helps! Sorry you have been going through this due to your age but be strong! You're definitely stronger than i am and I'm 25 haha. I just freak out very easily and panic as I'm afraid something is wrong instantly, again due to my anxiety. Thank you so much for keeping me in your prayers! I hope we both heal soon enough; I don't want to keep feeling like this!

• Posted

I had surgery16 days ago and i cant eat normal. The doctor keeps telling me th e re is no reason why. Even if i eat a bland diet, i have trouble digesting my food. I also have acid reflux like crazy.i wish people could understandwe are all different. Im getting frustrated that i cant eat without the pain. Not something a pain pill can finice.x. Answers would be
  • Posted

I had mine removed one year ago I feel dizzy and off balance no matter wat i eat and sometimes it's constantly doc says it's anxeity and depression.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.