why do i feel so cold?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Has any one else felt so cold. Not like normal cold but deep down to the bone freezing. Just thinking might be side effect.

Only on 7.5mg but too frightened to go up to 15mg.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Yolanda yes when I was on mirtazapine I was absolutely freezing all the time I'm now on Sertraline and it doesn't seem much better so I'm thinking that maybe it's just me cause when I was on venlafaxine I was sweating like a pig I thought I was on the change but it all changed when I came off them hope this helps x
    • Posted

Hi Nicola

Originally was on serxat for years no problems. Then doc changed me to sertaline (3 months) the wernt for me though I did not feel cold.

Have only just changed to these - I know its not summer but I've got a duvet and two heavy throws on my bed and still don't feel like warm.

I will mention it to the doc when I next go.

Thank you for your reply

• Posted

I don't know about you but I'm sick to death of changing them so I'm really hoping these will work for me x
  • Posted

Are you sure you are not sickening for something? Sounds more like you have a bug to me. However, mirtazapine CAN cause chills or a fever in very rare circumstances. If you think it is the drug causing this, then you should speak to your GP.
  • Posted

yes I felt the cold much more at first. I work from home and sit still a lot so do often need a blanket over the legs, but in my first week at least of 15mg I has really wrapping myself up considerably.
    • Posted

This is very interesting about mirtazapine. Maybe it explains why people put on weight with this drug, if it causes your body to lower its temperature and therefore use up less energy.
    • Posted

I thought being cold stoked the fires and burned more calories!  It's been pretty darn cold here where I live for the last couple of days.  I've been on 15 mg (from the start - was a bit knocked out for the first 3 or 4 days) and never noticed being cold as a symptom.  We are all different though and from reading everyone elses experiences over the last month or so there are some interesting different side effects.  

Hope this helps Yolander.  Best wishes to you.

• Posted

Yes, if your temperature regulation is working properly, then being in a cold ambient temperature burns more calories as your body responds to keep you warm. However, I think Yolander was meaning she is feeling really cold when she should not be. This could mean that the mirt has stopped her body warming itself up as it should. If the body doesn't warm itself up then it uses fewer calories and your metabolic rate would be lower.
    • Posted

That's a really good theory! The body isn't burning calories to keep itself warm. I've been freeeeeezing all day despite layers and alpaca socks!
  • Posted

Hi,I'm not sure but I don't think its the side affects of Mirt. But when I found out I had an Underactive thyroid,that was one of the symptoms. 

Hope pe that's of some help if not check with your GP.

• Posted

Hi

this is a known side effect.  It can, in most cases, give you a good night's sleep, but this is the drawback.  I found as the dose increased, I started to sweat -it was really creepy because I wasn't hot but the front of my body to my "bra" on my nightdress wAs wringing with perspiration, but it was cold water.  The GP said this was a known side effect.   Ben during the day, people can be feeling warm, yet, I'm cold and shivering.

best wishes

Nessie

• Posted

I too feel the cold, I was fine until i started mirtazapine, I live in Florida and I walk about with a sweater on, right now I have sweat pants on and socks on my feet, I was never like this before until strarting this drug, at night its the opposite, I wake dup with the sweat lashing off me and have to change my pillow slip in the morning, I have been on 30 mgs for two weeks and last night I took 15 mgs in the hopes that this would help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.