Why do i feel so fearful about my high BP not coming down and staying down?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Doctor recently diagnosed me as hypertensive. My BP was 172/109. I was suffering from constant headaches and palpitations. doctor prescribed Losartan 50mg daily and atenolol 10mg. I always feel weak and light headed after about one hour after taking the pills. Is anyone using the same amount of medicines? Is this feeling normal? 

i have started doing 30 minutes exercises daily and trying hard with my dietconfused.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I am taking different medications for high blood pressure but I know that awful feeling about one hour after taking them. Do you take your medication before breakfast ? I used to do that and then discovered that if I took them on a full stomach (a cooked breakfast if you can manage it) it will slow down the rate it is absorbed. and then it doesnt have such a horrible impact. Try not to be fearful, I put myself through so much worry in the beginning. I know now that there are so many medications to help us and I'm sure you will soon have this under control. Hope you feel better soon.
    • Posted

Thank you Bess for your advice and feedback. I am taking the medicine before breakfast! but now i will do so before and I also pray for your well being.

• Posted

I think it is quite normal to be fearful. And yes I am on different tablets to you but the side effects were awful to start with.  I used to feel quite spaced out and about 2hours later dreadful sweats.  It took about 3months for it to settle.  Even now from time to time I still get funny feelings but you have to be positive about  the benefits. It took about 3months to settle down. I have been taking pills since June last year.  I wish you well
  • Posted

I've been taking Losartan 50 mgs nightly for the past ten years, and more recently an additional drug called Felodopine - 2.5 mgs, cutting it in half to 1.25 mgs every morning. I needed the second drug as BP had jumped high recently, no doubt from stress. I have been feeling a little rough this past week but it could be due to suffering chronic fatigue and not the additional drug...juries out though! I would throw everything at reducing your BP such as swimming, long fast walks, meditation, diet and supplements - magnesium, olive leaf, hawthorn and garlic, beetroot, etc. whatever, don't despair as this "state of mind" heightens BP I have found. Keep mellow and positive...hard as that can be.
  • Posted

Hi Christina.

Don't despair! Most of us on this forum have felt just as you do at the moment, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Can you answer me this simple question please? Did your GP mention anything about lifestyle changes and if so, what?

• Posted

Hi Doctor advised that I loose some weight and to stop worrying (which i do alot). To exercise (which i had recently re-started ) and to change my diet. 
    • Posted

Hi Christina. Thanks for reply. Weight loss has a significant effect on bp readings when combined with exercise and diet. I was never overweight but have lost a stone in the last 12 months. I am 5' 11" and weigh 11st 9lbs. I walk briskly for 30 mins each day. I do not smoke and drink modestly. I do not eat processed or fast foods. I avoid all pastry and never use salt. I eat beetroot whenever I can plus almonds to snack on. I add garlic to food where appropriate. What I have found Christina is that you have to change lifestyle. It works but it is hard work and you HAVE to get family and friends to support you. Good luck.
    • Posted

Hi Fisherman. Thank you so much for your positive feedback! I will definitely try your ideas and yes i know it will be very hard work for me...
  • Posted

Hi Christina I know exactly how you feel I have just started Losartan after trying other BP meds which gave me awful side effects I felt so bad I am now stressing about taking these which really is defeating the object as stress isn't good for high BP. I also felt dizzy and light headed about 2 hours after taking it, also feel like my eyes are all over the place . However I have to say since I started on meds for BP I don't sleep well at all and feel so tired all of the time  I am hoping it will settle down so I'll give them a couple of week's till my review with the doctor. Trouble with me is I didn't feel bad at all before being diagnosed with high BP it was only because I was called in for a check up  in November when I turned 60 that I was told my BP was high 164/90 , I have had headaches feeling very confused , lower back pain and one tablet gave me  a terrible cough for  6 week's thankfully it went 2 week's after stopping those tablet's , I've not felt good since and it's really getting me down. I wish you well and hope you get sorted out with the best medication for you soon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.