Why do I feel weak when reducing Pregabalin?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am suffering from anxiety. Have been taking Pregabalin for 6 months. I am now on 250 mg a day and reducing by 25mg on a weekly basis. I suffer with anxietyfirst thing when I wake but i want to know why i feel so weak most of the time?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Pauline

?You are actually tapering down on this drug too quickly and you will have withdrawals. 25mg is too much and really you should only consider 10% drops with however long it takes to stabilise in between before dropping again. This drug changes your Brain Chemistry and Central Nervous System within 1 week of taking it then your brain and body become dependent on it. I know that GP's in general do not believe much about the awful side effects or withdrawals on this drug but I know first hand that they are wrong and should listen more to their patients. There is a safer slower way of tapering and if you go onto Fb and find a group called Lyrica Survivors (Official) and apply to join you will find all the information you need about Pregabalin and something called Water Titration which allows you to come off small amounts at a time. GP's say you have to use 25mg at a time because these are the smallest capsule amounts available but this is not the case. I have come down from 200mg daily to 50mg x2 by using water titration and my withdrawals have not been too bad. The Group are very supportive of one another and I am sure you will people on there going through the same as you. The weakness you feel is a well known withdrawal symptom. There are wonderful files on things like Natural Remedies to try for anxiety, weakness, lack of sleep etc. and also a lot of research into this drug is there for you to find and read. It is totally your decision but as you are already tapering I think the Group will be of great help to you. Obviously I am a member! 

?I do hope that whatever you decide you are able to safely come off Pregabalin and have a better future ahead of you. 

Kind regards

Liz

• Posted

Thank you, I appreciate your answering me. My psychiatrist is the one reducing the drugs. My husband and I will look further into the reductions. Many thanks again.
    • Posted

I am very unsure that Psychiatrists/Consultants know enough about this drug to help you properly. If you feel the advice given is to drop 25mg or more for one week and then another similar drop the next please do more research. Obviously you have to trust in the care of your Psychiatrist and I am just a patient who has suffered traumatic side effects/withdrawals of this drug, but I do firmly believe there is a happy medium for both parties in these situations. I fear you suffering unbearable withdrawals and that is why I gave you the advice I did. We will do all we can to help and support you purely in tapering on the group I have mentioned and we never allow judgemental posts or any unhelpful posts. It is a safe and friendly environment where you can read and tell your story. Bless you, I hope you are well looked after by the people you trust smilex

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.