Why do I increase gabapentin when 1 pill 3 times a day is working

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have a building disc pinching my L4 nerve. I've been taking gabapentin 3 times a day and it's been working. Why do I have to increase the medication?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

If the dose you are on is working and you are not in the pain you were in before being prescribed; tell your GP you are doing fine on the dose you are on.

Is your doctor wanting to increase your dose of gabapentin? I'm confused...

• Posted

That is a very good question. If its working then leave it alone.  Remember gabapentin is a very powerful and dangerous drug.....side effects and withdrawals when tapering off.........tapering off must be done very very slowly   finally got off of it the past October,,,,,,I would not go up any more than I have to.......
  • Posted

You are best to stay on the lowest possible dose that works for you. If you are finding a lower dose than what was first suggested to you is working then speak to your dr and stay on that dose. I suffered long term side effects re my memory from this medication, and getting off it is no easy feat. My advice would be to only take what you need to. Personally I think this medication whist very helpful in the ealry stages, is a powerful medication that is way too easily prescribed. The less you take of it the better.
  • Posted

You don't. Don't go any higher unless the pain returns. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.