Why do I keep getting heartburn and reflux ?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello everyone . This persistent problem is giving me major health anxiety . I’ve even had a paramedic out because of it , ecg came back fine . My doctor put me on omeprazole tablets , but some reviews said that it only made things worse once off them , so be cautious before using . Needless to say I haven’t taken them . I thought my period was coming on Saturday as I had the start of bleeding , but now nothing else apart from lower ache . I also had a bad migraine then which I usually get before or with a period . This weekend it will be 8 weeks since my last period . My body feels so lethargic and achy and thoroughly depressed . My husbands getting seriously fed up of my hypochondria , I know . Took my blood pressure earlier and it was 119/85 , so pre hypertension . This has got me worrying as well . He’s told me to stop checking all these things , but my health anxiety keeps thinking heart problems although there was no concern with my doctor or the paramedic . My mind just keeps mulling over things which I know is the worse thing to do . Any advice on the reflux please Xxx

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Dear Jane

Sorry you are suffering with this. I have written to ladies on here many times before as i suffered bad reflux and went on the get gastitis (inflammed stomach lining) I lost weight with this and suffered nausea, which didnt help my health anxiety. Like i have recommended before, I have my bed slightly raised, i also take a prebiotic drink daily. I would say avoid caffeine, alcohol and fatty foods. Initially i did take omeprezole but switched to zantac as the omeprezole made my stomach abit gassy after a while. I understand how you feel with the health anxiety it really is awful and i spent many a day fretting over health worries. Im three years post meno now and seem a bit more settled x

• Posted

Hi Jane,  I have had troubles with GERD.  I lost weight, headaches, heart palps, chest pains, rib pains. Had endoscopy and colonoscopy...all clear.   anxiety causes this too, related to hormones changing. Under control for me now since I started Lexapro.  I was prescribed medication similar to yours, but it gave me bad diarrhea, nausea and dizziness.  Try the meds, it may help.  Also, no eating 3 hrs before bed.  Raise your head while sleeping.  No spicy foods.  Pretty much what pinkfairy said!  Good luck!
  • Posted

Also, your blood pressure changes constantly.  You were probably in stress mode when you checked it.  119/85 is not usually cause for alarm.  Did you ever look up the cardiologist in york...Gupta...he explains BP, reflux, palps, very well too...it may ease your mind.  
  • Posted

From what I have research on this, I also suffer from gerd, is we age and hit perimenopause, our digestion slows down. Don't take propump inhibitors. It lowers stomach acid which makes the problem. Avoid alchohol and take tums before bed.

• Posted

Hi Jane...For me, I get a ramping up of symptoms right before a flow. The symptoms change each time...but reflux usually starts to bother me along w crumbly gut n nausea...before my period decides to show up. Sometimes I get all the symptoms but no period. Had the same heart test you did...twice. I will say that during this journey my gallbladder had to come out. So maybe ask about that?

And I hear ya on the hubby n hypochondria....mine too. But oh well, dude....you're not growing any younger either and you will have your "stuff" soon enough!

• Posted

🤣 rumbly gut...not crumbly. Dang predictive text!!

• Posted

‘Okra pepscin’ works like magic for stomach issues takes a few weeks to get into system but clears it up for good ! 
  • Posted

Hi Jane,  don't know what your blood presure was pre peri,  but my blood pressure has been 120/80 my whole life and have always been told that was totally normal, but it is very stressful if it went up my husband norm is 100/60 I think it a lot what is normal for you, mine actually went up also but to like 145/ 85 and I thought this is it I'm going to be on bp medicine, but guess what I started my HRT and within 2days went to normal almost!!!! I could not believe peri was causing this symptom it such a big deal, doc said it is all the anxiety and stress and the HRT supposedly can calm some of us.... Good luck sweetie that was my adventure with blood presure... Crazy

• Posted

Hi Jane, I have also suffered with GERD for the last 3-4 years. I’m 2 years post-meno and it started up at a point when I didn’t quite realize I was peri menopausal. My only symptom was irregular periods. After several trips to the ER for chest pain and a complete cardiac physical, we finally discovered that my gall

Bladder was over active. No stones, so ultrasound was always normal. A HIDA scan finally showed that I had a + 95% ejection fraction - which was producing the majority of my chest pain. My symptoms improved greatly after surgery. I still have reflux and have to careful with my diet, but it’s not the pain I had at that time. I believe my increased anxiety (thanks to meno) causes my reflux. 

• Posted

Hello,I was easily prescribed omeprazole, too!

PPI's worsened my digestive problems...and as you said they have many side effects, their use is not advisable for long time! 

When I took omeprazole, my appetite was zero during the whole day except early in the morning and I I believe that the food stayed in my stomach for a long time as this kind of PPI pills inhibit the acid and thus the digestion.

The only medicine that really helped me is riopan gel...I take it occasionally when my reflux is unbearable.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.