Why do I not react to certain foods with gluten in it

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, 

I posted this in another part of the board which I think was the wrong area. Here is what I posted. 

I have been diagnosed with Celiac disease for a couple years now and I react strongly to some food but not as much to others. If I eat cake, more then one cookie, english muffin and especially beer I react pretty strongly. Bad stomach problems, gas, although not being able to release it, bloating and just plain feeling agonizingly sick to my stomach. Then on the other hand I can eat chicken nuggets, hamburgers with buns, sandwiches with white bread and I don't seem to react. If on occasion I do it's very minor. If I go crazy eating it these things every day then I will certainly begin reacting of course. 

Is it a matter of some foods begin more concentrated with gluten or what is it. How is it that I can eat a McDonalds hamburger with a bun and feel fine but I get sick to my stomach when eating an english muffin? I'm confused?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, 

I’m not sure why you react to certain foods with gluten in and then nothing with other types of foods containing gluten. But I am concerned that you are eating any gluten at all. You said you have coeliac disease and when eating out it is easier to get glutened by cross contamination. If you even eat a crumb of gluten example a bread crumb you will get damaged and your body will attack itself, leaving you feeling very ill or in my case I have the silent form where I don’t get  symptoms but my body is still getting damaged. This can lead to cancer and other autoimmune diseases in the future.  I have an app which I use to scan bar codes on food whilst I’m out shopping it saves time and helps me keep gluten free. I hope you don’t mind me saying this. I’ve been diagnosed with coeliac disease for nearly 2 years now and I adhere to a strict gluten free diet.

• Posted

I agree with MinkyMinx, that you are not getting any obvious symptoms does not mean that damage is not being caused.  In my case I had no significant problems, although in retrospect the fact that I had been diagnosed with anaemia and had been taking medication for it for some years may have been a result of coeliac disease because I now no longer need the medication.  I was diagnosed with coeliac disease as a result of an endoscopy session for other reasons and have been strictly gluten-free ever since.  The other reason for the endoscopy, by the way, was bowel cancer.  Whether the undiagnosed coeliac disease was a contributory factor in developing this is uncertain, but the possibility is there.  It is not worth taking the risk of eating gluten if you have been diagnosed as having coeliac disease!
  • Posted

Hello, I am concerned after reading your posts.

I had low folate levels and was put on medication. I was tired, constipated, bloated and irritable and was told to eat gluten for six weeks then have another blood test. I only managed 3 days of eating gluten, I had terrible stomach cramps and bloating, feeling sick, very constipated and very tired. I stopped eating it and have never felt better. But I never went back for the blood test. What should I do, I think I am Coeliac and now very worried I might get cancer. 

• Posted

If you have stopped eating gluten then there should be no problems as far as causing damage is concerned.  It is best to get a proper diagnosis, though, in case there are other causes of your symptoms.  The definitive test for coeliac disease is an endoscopy session, but this also needs you to be eating gluten before taking it. I don't think it is necessary to eat a lot of it so you might try eating, say, just one biscuit a day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.