Why do ur friends don't want to know you when u have cfs

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi my name is Michael I have cfs and had it for years and I have lost more friends then I have I have good days so now I don't go out as I have no friends to go out with yes I do have a wife but I would like to give her a break from me

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Michael,

The truth is when you get CFS, you find out who your real friends are.

Some think you are skiving because the illness has that reputation.

Other friends never counted on a caring role in the way they related to you. They then find the commitment involved too daunting.

Many "friends" will undergo compassion-fatigue. Such people can handle an illness where recovery can be observed in weeks. Alas there is no known end point to CFS, and that is an uncertainty which only really close friends will be prepared to embrace. You become too high maintenance for most especially if they are basically selfish and their capacity for sympathy was shallow to start with.

Then again with CFS one becomes what most people define as a boring person - always resting, never going out with your mates, curtailing normal activities etc., Even when people see you, you can't join in with their pace of life. Consequently you get left in the crawler lane, or worse on the hard shoulder whilst others whizz past and progress in their lives and careers.

In addition some find you so changed they don't recognize you as the person you were before you were ill. You might have been the life and soul of the party, but not now. Now they think you have nothing to talk about because you do nothing, which in part is true. For them your personality and even your body has changed. Marriages can break down over such things: I speak from bitter experience.

Finally, CFS cuts you off from every day life. You are not seen in your place of education or workplace. Sadly many people just forget you exist, because their minds only register people who they see regularly.

As I say, you find out who your friends are. My profound apologies for this tale of woe.

Philip

• Posted

love everything you wrote there. u absolutely nailed it.

thanks

• Posted

Michael,

At the highest degree of importance is your wife. She is the best friend you cannot afford to lose. Manage as much of your illness away from her as possible, but only after a proper discussion where you lay out the difficulties, possibly in a joint consultation with your medical professional. Love should be in sickness or in health, but this will not avail if you don't live in a state of mutual truth about your condition.

May God bless you and bring you swift aid in your trials.

Philip

• Posted

hi there.. I hope u having an ok day? seems like having this illness certainly changes all aspects of your life... unfortunately I suspect we have been very helpful to all our friends and kind of expect it back. I went through awful grief over this and got angry about it. I'm a bit lucky as I have four great friends that understand . I don't make too many plans as have had to cancel too many times.... I hope u find someone safe to be around. . people are judgemental.. I hope those people never get this hideous illness.

take care..Jane

• Posted

Hi Jane thank you for your time as I am house bound with cfs now days as I have more bad days than good one's I did see no one apart from the kids and fg a d her mum my side of my family don't want to know me as I look OK on the outside and they say that I just don't want to work when I did have a good job up to May this year and now all I can do is cross stitch when I am not in pain

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.