Why do we feel the need to hide our anxiety?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I don't know about you but part of my anxiety is the need to control it and being scared that people around me will know that I'm having a panic.  Something that has helped me recently is to try and think that it doesn't really matter.  Would it be so bad if I ran out of the shop (or wherever) screaming that I wanted to get out of there?  I'm sure I'd get some funny looks and possibly someone might even ask me if I was OK, but I doubt I would be an outcast for ever.

So now when I have a bit of a panic I try to say to myself 'So what, are you going to scream and run away? or are you going to collapse on the floor? No, you're not. So just get on with it and it will go away soon.'  So by giving myself permission to be a complete freak it seems to relieve some of the tension.

Just imagine if it was as socially acceptable to say 'Oh, I'm having a bit of a panic' in the same way as saying 'Oh, I've got terrible indigestion.'  I'm sure many lives would be made easier.

Anyway, that was just my thought for the day that I thought I'd share biggrin

3 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

i would make sure that the people or who ever your with knows that you have panic attacks.or are you just talking about people visiting the shop where you work
    • Posted

I was mainly talking generally.  My family know that I panic but I just meant if I was out shopping and feeling trapped or in other situations where I'm likely to panic, it helps to not be concerned about what other people might think.
  • Posted

This is so true and I totally agree... It's always the fear of being viewed a certain way by people... I leave far away from my parents and I always want them to think that I'm ok. Mum tends to worry and she knows I've got this but doesn't really understand it and the first thing she says is whats wrong what is worrying you? She doesn't get that there is nothing really that worries me. I'm just anxious and worry about being anxious. It actually worries me to think that they think I'm not well so when I'm like this I try to keep my distance but just to think about it makes me feel dreadful. So if family don't really get it what are the chances of other people understanding it... That's what I wonder sometimes. 

But at the end of the day, Anxiety, panic attacks, depression... are no different illnesses from having migraines or the flu, right? I think its peoples perception/lack of understanding that needs to change... 

• Posted

Hi keep going, 

I so agree with you, I think that we all worry far too much about other people's opinions of us... we are all completely and totally different, PLEASE do not ever feel self conscious  of any action or emotion you show, my goodness, I am sure that almost everyone on these forums feel exactly the same..

We are all unique and that is what makes us special..

Never ever worry what others think of you..

If you treat others  as you wish to be treated, then you can never, ever go wrong..

Take CARE.. Deirdre xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.