Why do we get this adrenalin rush in the morning on Citalopram?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi All, any idea why we get this horrible adrenalin/cortisol rush in the morning on Citalopram? I know that apparently and hopefully it stops eventually but I just don't understand the physiology behind it and apparently neither does my family doc. Other than to say it is a possible side effect with this drug. So brutal. I dread waking up in the morning. I will be 7 weeks this coming Monday and same morning hell Everyday!

SHANE

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I came off this drug for this exact reason, it is clearly not working with your M.E. The side effect will have a massive impact on your M.E I imagine which removes the point of the medication. The doseage is probably wrong as well but either way I would say that you probably need to be referred to a M.E doctor / consultant as well as being seen by your GP. The medication should not make your condition worse / or produce side effects that exacerbate your condition. Saying that don't just go cold turkey as I did that and it was worse. Speak to your GP, explain and ask if there is an alternative and if in doubt seek a second medical opinion.

• Posted

Hi Shane bit of a late reply but has your morning anxiety sorted itself out yet? I get the same rush but I had it before I started the citalopram because of extreme stress I think. Did you have it before you started on the meds?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.