Why do women have to give up work during menopause ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I know this may be a silly question but as I’m going through very bad health issues and trying to find out what it is apart from CFS ....... I wondered why women have to give up work ? 

Is it the fatigue

Not being able to get out of bed in the morning 

The anxiety and panic attacks 

The general ‘ill’ ‘malaise ‘ ‘flu like’ feeling

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

HI Lori,  I had to stop working in Dec.  my main issue is the vertigo, off balanced thing.  I think it is contributing to my fatigue.   It’s weird, I am exhausted, but I cannot nap.    I am self employed...pet stylist/groomer and I need to be on my game physically and mentally...so I do not hurt an animal or get my face bit off!  I am able to get out of bed and do my chores and look after my kids and pets.  But, I still get hit out of nowhere with this overwhelming exhaustion and feel as if I will collapse.  So, I take lots of breaks.  I did go through a couple of months of not being able to get put of bed, crying a lot.  That’s when I gave the AD a try.  But, definitely for me...if my dizziness would subside I’d be back working in a heartbeat...even if it were just part time.
    • Posted

That’s me too Lou .... I am soooo tired and cannot nap anymore unless I take something ...a pill.  Ok so that is  me too getting out of bed then too weak and tired and getting right back in it . 

Now I hope what I have is just hormones and nothing more serious ... I’ve been health panicking the last few days. I mean it has been 6 months ! 

• Posted

Lori...for the CFS, besides supplements...did they recommend any medications that can help?  I think ADs are used sometimes for CFS...but I know you do not tolerate them well.  
    • Posted

I’m waiting to hear back from a new doctor and my latest blood tests . If she sees the Epstein Barr maybe I can take Valtrex which hopefully will then help the crippling fatigue .

No can’t do AD’s tried twice and just horrible for me .... I’ll see how I do and if I’m not better in a few weeks .. I may try again if you’ve heard it can help. I’d prefer just to kill the virus though ! 

• Posted

Hey Lori,  I was in the ER ( last Thanksgiving).  🙄. Anyways,  I had overwhelming fatigue, weakness.  As usual, everything normal.  This was the 1 and only time, I heard a medical doctor mention CFS.  Dr mentioned that ADs are sometimes used.  I do not have CFS...but I know that most ADs make you exhausted.  In any event, I think medical doctors still treat it like it is depression.  Hopefully some other ladies can shed some light on the subject.  I have EBV too, most of the world carries the virus.  Mine is from the herpes family...cold sores, cankers.  I do know anything about reactivated EBV, however, if we can mono as adults, recovery is a beast and fatigue can last a long time.  I am not sure you can never really kill EBV.   Only strenghten your immune system to fight off whatever troubles it may cause.  Good golly, we should all get together and write a medical journal 😁

• Posted

Yes I went to the ER months ago with the same symptoms . Are you feeling any better ?  It’s lasted 6 months on and off for me some weeks better than others but when it hits bad .... boy oh boy is it bad .

I’m on natural pills to kill the virus or at least make it go dormant again. 

I don’t think depression can cause such an overwhelming fatigue ... this is more biological than mental . And ADs just mask the problem ... I honestly don’t think they could combat the fatigue and malaise I’ve felt. 

• Posted

Hi Lori, My bad fatigue started around Dec...I definitely have my bad days.  I can be going along and then feel like I could collapse...especially if I have a bad nights sleep.   I had a scary couple months where I could just lay there in a coma staring at the ceiling for hours...crying, over sensitive...  Watching tv required too much energy.  I was scared...That is when I started the AD 3 mo ago.  So I am better in that respect.  I have been weaning off that anyways because of the stupid vertigo. In my case, I definitely think my really bad fatigue was depression setting in.  My hormones are all over, causing anxiety, then I got scary symptoms, ran around like crazy to be “fixed”...a million tests, panic attacks, ER visits.  Then fell into depression because I just did not know what was wrong with me! It is pretty sad when I cried when being told I didn’t have all the bad stuff.  Depression actually can make you exhausted...mentally, than physically.   Hang in there Lori...it is definitely our hormones causing all this...unfortunately, we are all guinea pigs 🙄

• Posted

I know depression can make you tired but the tiredness I’ve felt which almost can make me vomit is different . I definitely have CFS and don’t want to go on ADS. 

And yes! I felt so scared too ... living alone and going through this . Sometimes I don’t see anybody for weeks as I’ve had to lock myself away in order to get plenty of rest and support my immune system . Plus no family around. 

Hoping better days are coming for us Lou this has been the weirdest scariest moment of my life ! If I can get through this ... can get through anything !

• Posted

Hi Lori. I was diagnosed with mono when I was 25. Also full body guttate psoriasis. As peri hit me, the psoriasis came back (plaque psoriasis this time). I had worked full time all my life, until my lay off in 2009. Since then, I worked a few part time jobs. Couldn't find FT the way economy was. This year I found a PT job close to home. Though it was a few hours a day I just couldn't keep up. My brain just doesn't work like it did, not to mention the sleep deprivation, dizziness, nausea and blurry vision. Thankfully, my husband is able to support me and my 16 year old. My family helps out too. Don't know how some women do it!?

• Posted

I completely understand Nancy ... I could not work right now and yes I too have psoriasis . It’s all to do with the immune system so I’m boosting mine up right now .

I firmly believe menopause makes this worse or reactivates  it . I’m a shadow of my former self .... hopefully we will get back to some kind of normal . I see elderly ladies working walking ...staying up later than me . So there is HOPE ! 

• Posted

Holy moly Nancy!  Of course I had to click on what that is!  I find it interesting that streptococcus virus can trigger it.  I have had strep twice the last couple months. This time I will finish the antibiotics though...kind of stopped early before 😆

• Posted

Couldn't agree more! Hope you feel better soon! Hugs ?

• Posted

I’ve read  a lot of cases of strep on here so it must be common amongst menopausal women . lysine is great for the immune system so boost yourself up before you get hit again and take a probiotic if you’re taking antibiotics a they also destroy the ‘good’ bacteria in your gut . 
    • Posted

Thanks Nancy it’s been 6 months It’s got to be over soon . 
    • Posted

Oh definitely!  Got my lysine bottle right here!  My mom used to give it to me when I was a younger..I used to get cold sores a lot.  I am going back to basics.  I asked her about menopause as she took soy...but she had major hot flashes and anger.  I’m too tired to be angry!  Drs always say soy is not good...maybe I should just listen to Dr. Mom 😉

• Posted

That's interesting Lou! Used to get strep throat every six months when I was a kid. That lasted until around 13. AND that's right about when my first period hit. Hope you kick it and feel better! Yes...take ALL your meds. 😉

• Posted

Yes 2 naturopaths told me to eliminate soy from my diet . I always ate a lot of tofu she said us  westerners cannot process it  like the Asians can and that it can effect your thyroid . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.