Why does a new hip fail ?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi Everyone

In a few days ( 1st replacement 24/2/17) I will be worrying about how to make my new hip last as long as possible rather than worrying about the operation itself. 

What I want to know is do THR's generally fail at the connection between stem and bone, or is it the ball joint itself that wears out ? In other words is it the number of revolutions of the joint that make it fail or is the level of impact that loosens the stem.

I would love to return to low impact sports such as swimming and cycling but wonder if this can wear out the ball joint prematurely. I would like to get 20 years use if possible before revision.

Anyone wth an opinion or first hand experience please get in touch

Paul

1 like, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

If you look at my website, 'Complications' page, the main failures seem to be 

Split in femur - probably caused by high impact sports such as skiing.

Loosening - I think that this happens for a variety of reasons, high impact sport, poor surgery, bad luck with the bone not growing into the metal surface.

From the British Medical Journal;

Failure of a hip replacement requiring revision surgery occurs at a rate of approximately 1% per year for the first 15 years. 

Beyond eight years acetabular component loosening is more common than failure of the femoral component. 

Loosening of components is the commonest reason for implant failure causing approximately 75% of failures. 

The three next most common reasons for implants requiring revision are infection, technical errors at the time of surgery, and recurrent dislocation.

If loosening is seen within the first two years after surgery infection should be suspected.but bear in mind that these are my opinions and I am NOT medically trained.

I think that to make it last as long as you can, don't regularly stress it too much. Swimming and cycling should be fine, I was back on the Boris Bikes in London and my own bike at home after about 4 months. 

Best wishes

Graham - 🚀💃 🤸

• Posted

Dear Graham

When I was looking into Osteolysis which caused the failure of my ankle prosthesis recently I was concerned to read that Osteolysis is the major cause of hip replacements failing.

Cheers

Richard

• Posted

Thanks Graham - I do apologise for asling questions which you have already brilliantly answered elsewhere. I guess it gives the opportunty to flag them up though

keep up the great work

Paul

• Posted

No problem Paul, that's why I made the website.  Keep meaning to update it, but get so little free time now - shows just how much better my leg is now cheesygrin.

• Posted

Hi Paul,

From what I've researched it can be either, but usually the ball wears out in the end.  Low impact will help more than hurt the joint.  You'll want to keep those muscles working for strength.  This will help prevent other injuries around the hip from occuring. 

Not long now and you'll be wondering why you worried so muchsmile

• Posted

Thanks Kimberley - I do hope so, I seem to have done nothing but worry about one thing or another this last year. Still exercising with resistance band today to go into the op with as much muscle as possible - though the surgeon said dont worry if muscles shrink the fibres are all still there and will soon come back with exercise.
    • Posted

If you weren't worried, it wouldn't be normal.  It's a major surgery.  Just remember that the majority of people are so thankful that they went through with it.  You have done a lot of research and are getting in shape prior to the surgery.  Patients that are able to get in shape prior generally have a better outcome.  Glad to hear that you have been working out with the resistance bands.  They are wonderful for tightening everything back up afterwards.  Only 2 more days, and you will be on mendsmile 

• Posted

Hi Paul, I'm so excited for you!  By the time we talk again you will have got over the hump and on your way to recoverysmile

Thinking about you and wishing you the best!!

• Posted

At 5 months, when I asked about how best I could prolong the life of my hip, my surgeon was pretty relaxed. Cycling and swimming really good, (including breaststroke legs), not running on hard surfaces, and not water skiing. He seemed to be saying just resume your usual activities.
    • Posted

Hi Judith

Running, rock climbing, skiing and mountain biking probably need to be ditched. Swimming and road biking probably will be my main form of exercise - they just lack a bit of adrenaline though. I am really tempted to continue rock climbing as my new flexible hips should actually make me a better climber than before, (Perthes really inhibits my range of rotation to the sides) The prospect of a big fall might make me think twice though.

Paul

Paul

• Posted

Perhaps you'll be ok with rock climbing? Haven't done it myself, so can't advise. ( I am planning to get back on my skis in April. I'll keep you posted on that one!)

• Posted

Hi Judith

I think skiing should be ok. As long as its not too extreme - I am not sure I will be able to avoid the temptaition to get off-piste into the powder.

Great that you are feeling confident in your new hip isnt it ?

Paul

• Posted

Hi Paul, I promised my surgeon that I'm going to be V well behaved! No moguls, no blacks, no off piste! I'm going to be very careful and if visibility is poor, I'll be strolling, and not skiing. Must be nearly time for you...I wish you the very best.

• Posted

Hi Judith

Its the big day today - they have bought me forward to morning surgery so thats good news - when the phone rang and they said who they were I feared the worst. Thanks for all your advice

Here we go

Paul

• Posted

Hi Paul

That's good news that they've brought you forward to the morning. Hopefully by this afternoon you'll be up put of bed and walking.

I had to wait until 4.00 in afternoon from when I was admitted at 7.15am.

Good luck.

• Posted

hi folks

​i have started a new post describing the ups and downs of the last week since my first THR

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.