Why does google say differant from what I was told

Posted , 10 users are following.

Had cataract surgery on right eye  and I was told by doc that I could go back to gym and do cardio or even lifting pretty much right away. Yet when I do a google search I get answers like wait a MONTH. Thats a BIg difference in answers. I had surgery on Thursday 3-22-18 morning. I have already walked on my own treadmill at home but just walked not run. So low heart rate maybe 110 BPM. just curious what other have been told. Like I said google search answers say wait a long time. 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

My surgeon said not to lift more than 10 pounds for a week. 
  • Posted

My surgeon wanted me to wait until I got the A-OK at my 2 week follow up visit before returning to my regular exercise routine.
  • Posted

I think that it is better not to do anything which can result in a jarring motion to the head, which could potentially upset the eye incision flap and its healing . To me this means, walking on a treadmill even at a good slope is fine but running or jogging should probably wait a while. Again for example, doing abduction or adduction leg exercises for legs should be okay, but lifting heavy weights overhead will probably not be okay.
  • Posted

Yes, I was told not to bend over or lift anything, especially for the first week.  After that no lifting anything over 20 lbs. for a while.  Walking was ok.
  • Posted

Hard to believe a cataract surgeon would say you could go those activities right away.  Mine said to wait at least 2 weeks to jog/run (I asked specifically about that activity.  He first said resume my normal activities and then they asked about running.  I think most of their patients being senior don’t do anything more strenuous than walking but for younger patients in their 50s normal activities tend to be much more active.  Always best to probe a bit more with surgeons.  

I would wait rather than risk your eyesight.  

• Posted

I guess I will take it easy until I see him again this Wednesday. I will ask again. Seems strange that everyone and google search say dont do much. 10 pounds seems like crazy low as I went grocery shopping tonight and I  lifted more than 10 pounds. But 10 pounds to me is nothing.
  • Posted

Every surgeon will have their own set of post surgery instructions. Many will err on the side of caution. My surgeon said elliptical or treadmill after 2 weeks but 4 weeks for anything more aggressive.

I waited 3 weeks before any workout and then started with pretty easy work on my home elliptical. It's a weird feeling because you've had surgery with potentially serious side effects but you feel fine, right? Compare that to surgery on your shoulder or arm and you wouldn't think about heavy exercise so soon.

You didn't mention your age but remember that most cataract patients are older and their workout regime will tend to be pretty low risk so that's probably the target group for many of the recommendations you see.

In my opinion, vision has such a massive impact on your overall quality of life, you should wait at least 4 weeks before doing anything more than treadmill or similar. I know lifting isn't necessarily going to "jar" your eye but you tend to strain quite hard. Why risk any potential damage for an extra 2-3 weeks of lifting?

• Posted

Yes I will take it easy. just stick to walking on treadmill. Iam a gym guy I go during the winter 7 days a week. But only lift 3 days a week. not super heavy. 60 pound dumbbells at most. I would like to use elliptical which is what I normally do with heart rate at 150 bpm. That I do every day during winter, summer I hardly get in gym once a week. Guess I have to wait.
  • Posted

So I went to gym the next day and did elliptical after both eyes👍

• Posted

My post surgery instruction says no "vigorous exercise" for a week. I did slow jogging after a week and ran at a moderate intensity after 10 days, with no problem. My surgeon was more concerned about I apply eyedrops according to schedule(10 days of anti-biotics and 5 weeks of steroid and anti-inflammatory).

• Posted

I too had the cataract surgery on the 3-22-18 morning. confused

The instruction sheet from my surgeon also said pretty much no restriction except for swimming and hot tub.

But I took it easy and avoid anything to do with bending or lifting as much as I can. Better safe than sorry.

• Posted

Ok so at least I know iam not alone in what he said. Yes he did say no swimming or hot tub which I dont do any way so forgot about those restrictions. I go in this Wednesday to see him again and will ask again and make sure he understands a heart rate of 150 and see what he says. So far everything seems good. .
  • Posted

I was told nothing strenuous for 1 week. Google not always correct. Taken advice from my surgeon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.