Why does ibs kill social life

Posted , 5 users are following.

So tired not having a life can’t go anywhere for to long with out worrying about the bathroom can’t do dating cuz nobody wants to get involve with people with issues from mental to health since I don’t each much and always have discomfort/pain. I take 10mg benteyl 4 times a day which doesn’t do much for me I been to doctors samples of stools mri blood test cat scans come back all good but have long all the IBS C symptoms barley go and when I do blood when wipe cuz from doctors say not going enough skin cracks and bleeds or it’s inside hemorrhoids I use the stuff they gave me for it. I don’t know what else to eat tired of soups on the go which is broth more then anything I eat breakfast bars cuz of fiber and protein in it sometimes rice depends if I’m in the mood for it.  But not having a life not eating hardly anything I have depression and bipolar with anxiety. Some days I feel like giving up that I’m a lab rat getting all these test and no answers trying to find other things to eat but nothing works saw a nutritions she said eat more soups which is like wow that it. I’m lost and don’t know what to do im at the end on what to try ..

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

From research and advice from here I am o the FODMAP diet which seems to be helping me.  A lot of people here are on the diet.  It was created by the Monash University.  Google FODMAP and you can get FODMAP apps for your phone. Good luck and stick with this forum.
    • Posted

Have the have half the stuff makes me bloating even tho it’s safe to eat. I chew slowly and eat slowly but still get them side effects 
    • Posted

Hi Dom. Have you seen anyone for your anxiety & depression?  Anxiety could be linked to your IBS problem. Some people who have IBS are treated with an anti-depressant like amytriptaline. This could help you.  For the bloating, do try peppermint oil capsules 200mg. I take them 3 times a day if I am having a bad time. It works well for me. The Low FODMAP diet also works but you have to be patient with it. ). I kept a food diary (snapped a pic of my meal) to record everything I ate and how I felt after each meal. This was the only way to figure out what foods I could eat. Can't just have soup. It's not enough. You will feel better but it takes time, trial and error. You have to use a combination of different methods to deal with this.  Be positive. You will get better. 

• Posted

Yea I see a therapist I’m on Benteyl for my stomach pain. 1,000mg of Depakote for bi polar ,125mg of seraquel to help depression l/sleep/anxiety.   I try sucking on peppermint candy thief all natural once in awhile to help bloating but having no appetite I don’t feel the earge to eat till I start snacking on something. I do rice once in awhile.. I’ll have to ask about that medicine if it’s better for ibs cuz benteyl does do much but dual the pain a little and I take 1 pill and up to 4 pills a day if it. Some days it’s worse evening late night and early morning are worse for me
    • Posted

Am glad you are on meds for your depression, bi-polar, etc. Your therapist should also bear in mind your IBS issues and treat you holistically. Peppermint candy is not going to work in this case. Please try peppermint oil capsules. You should be able to get them at your drug store.  Otherwise search online. Colpermin is one brand that I use which really helps. Hope you are also taking probiotics. 
  • Posted

If you have ibs c You need to go on a regular laxative regimen. Soups will not help as you are not taking in enough bulk to make you go. You need to eat properly
    • Posted

Laxatives don’t do anything for me. I go 1 a week maybe twice and have pain and discomfort still fill full after a small meal have no appetite 
  • Posted

Try a FODMAP diet it helped ,me upon advice I received from this site.  It is based on solid research from Monash University.  I have two FODMAP phone apps on my phone and it helped me id which foods to eat and not eat.  My appetite changed also and I am not interested in food until late afternoon.  I also drink 4 cups of peppermint tea.
    • Posted

Hi Anne. Glad the Low FODMAPs diet is helping you. It's really the main reason I have gained some control over my IBS. 

• Posted

Thanks it has really helped me in a short period of time esp getting control of my diarrhea.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.