Why does my ankle ach?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Had bunion surgery on nov 12/2013 to right foot. I have two incisions on my foot, one where the bunion was and on the top of my foot

I'm going into my 6th week of post-op recovery and and things are starting to look up.

I can't wear my normal shoes yet. My daughters foot is two sizes bigger than mine so I wear her's.

I don't have much strength in my ankle which I find odd since that was the problems area.

I havent had severe pain through out this procedure however I find night time the sorest time do day. At this point when I wake up I have no sewllening but within a few a few hours of movement my foot looks like a blow fish. Had to manage. I spend a lot of time resting my foot with it up. The scares burned for weeks like a really bad sunburn. My foot is very dry and scaly. Vitamin e helps with that. Abit disappointed that my big toe is still a it crocked. I see the surgeon jan3 and I will ask him why.

Also my foot looks shorter now,,seems odd too

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I can't tell you why, but I can tell you that I was told by my surgical nurse at the appt. where I was allowed to start weight bearing, not to be surprised by ankle pain, that many people complain of that more than anything....for myself, that was my main pain, I actually felt like I had sprained my ankle and walked with a slight limp up until about the 13th week...it did worry me because I was due for my other foots surgery and didn't know if my foot could hold my weight do to the ankle pain.

I did rent a knee walker though, and this took care of the weight as I do not have to use my first surgical foot very much.

Everything you say is as I had it with my first foot, foot looked good when awaking, then not much time would pass and it would swell.

One thing you may want to try that was a real help to me was, compression stockings, they helped with swelling and also supported my ankle. I also soaked my feet every night in Dr. Bronner soap/water....soothing, and helped with healing.

These are most helpful words of advice, hope it helps you.

• Posted

Suzanne, I too had pain near my ankle. Could it be due to the pain block shot? I had two pain blocks given; one on top of my foot and below my ankle bone. These spots were sore for six weeks - actually worse than the surgery site.
  • Posted

I also had bunion surgery 6 1/2 weeks ago. Just got into a walking boot about 5 days ago and the pain was terrible when wearing the boot. It seems to be getting a bit better day by day. Walked a little bit without crutches today.

I'm the same at night in the fact that the pain gets worse because of the swelling during the day. I wear my cryo cuff when I go to bed with my foot elevated on pillows still. If not my foot swells at night also.

I am still taking Aleve daily and icing and elevating as much as possible during the day.

Such a long recovery.

• Posted

If your bunion surgery was like mine (I am in week 11) your ankle hurts because it was completely immobilzed for several weeks (I was in a cast for 4 weeks and then the boot for 4). The muscles shut down amidst the inactivity, so then when you are bearing weight again, your ankle gets sore. I was surprised by this too, I have almost no pain in my foot anymore, but my ankle is sore almost every day. I have my second surgery on January 8th, and am just trying to do all I can to get strength back in the post-op foot, or I am going to be hating life come that second surgery...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.