Why does my BP rise in Utah in winter, vs east coast?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I spend winters in Utah, skiing. I normally live on the east coast.

When I go to Utah, my BP rises, compared to east coast BP. This has happened for 3 or 4 years. When I return to the east coast, it goes back to normal.

One obvious guess is other lifestyle changes, such as change in diet. But I probably eat more salt when I'm home. I go to the gym less often in Utah. (Note: Salt Lake City elevation is around 4,500 ft; the ski area elevation is 8,500--10,500.)

I am a 75 y.o. while male in generally very good health, with well-controlled HT.

I've found some research that shows that BP rises with increased elevation, but there's not much on this matter.

Anyone have any guesses? My Utah internist dismisses my observations, says he is not aware of increases in BP as a function of increased elevation.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

My BP is always at its worst from about the winter solstice through Valentine's day, even down around sea level! I was wondering if it's something in the pumpkin spice everything, LOL. Just cold weather causes the body to cut circulation to the body's outer layers and this can make the readings worse and perhaps exaggerate the actual situation.

Be careful with that skiing over age 70 ...

• Posted

Sorry for late reply, only now saw this.

Age no problem. I ski with lots of geezers, including 1 who is around 85 and has a BIG belly. Remember, too, that in skiing you're sitting down more than half the time, and when you're on the slope, gravity is doing most of the work.

• Posted

same happens to me when we go to Flafstaff AZ from the midwest. my cardiologist says there is no reason it should do this.

• Posted

Interesting. Flagstaff altitude is 6909. How often does this happen?

And you would think that the increased altitude might make your BP go down--less air pressure.

• Posted

we go twice a year. i dont know why.

after this pandemic we will go again.

• Posted

I know it would not seem to make sense in your case, but I am wondering if perhaps you get less sunlight in the winter than in the summer. Just read an article in the July 2020 issue of Readers Digest on the subject. But if you are all covered up when you ski it is a distinct possibility. You are likely active outdoors in the summer when at home and get a lot of sun exposure.

• Posted

Not sure about amount of sunlight. I don't get much in winter or summer. I'm fair-skinned and I try to avoid sunlight. I spend as little time as possible outdoors.

As far as sources of good medical info, try pubmed.gov.

• Posted

Salt and sugar can effect heart rate to a degree but only in high quantities. It wouldnt be the atmosphere that effects heart rate unless it (the atmosphere) changes your moods.

• Posted

I can't figure out what it could be, except that, as I said earlier, I did find some research that says that altitude CAN in fact affect BP. I suspect there's still a lot that's not known about BP. Remember, for example, that it was only about 30 years ago or so that it was discovered that in fact 120 (to 130 or so) was the upper suggested limit for systolic.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.