Why does my BP rise in Utah in winter, vs east coast?

Edited , 4 users are following.

I spend winters in Utah, skiing. I normally live on the east coast.

When I go to Utah, my BP rises, compared to east coast BP. This has happened for 3 or 4 years. When I return to the east coast, it goes back to normal.

One obvious guess is other lifestyle changes, such as change in diet. But I probably eat more salt when I'm home. I go to the gym less often in Utah. (Note: Salt Lake City elevation is around 4,500 ft; the ski area elevation is 8,500--10,500.)

I am a 75 y.o. while male in generally very good health, with well-controlled HT.

I've found some research that shows that BP rises with increased elevation, but there's not much on this matter.

Anyone have any guesses? My Utah internist dismisses my observations, says he is not aware of increases in BP as a function of increased elevation.

0 likes, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

• Posted

My BP is always at its worst from about the winter solstice through Valentine's day, even down around sea level! I was wondering if it's something in the pumpkin spice everything, LOL. Just cold weather causes the body to cut circulation to the body's outer layers and this can make the readings worse and perhaps exaggerate the actual situation.

Be careful with that skiing over age 70 ...

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

same happens to me when we go to Flafstaff AZ from the midwest. my cardiologist says there is no reason it should do this.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Interesting. Flagstaff altitude is 6909. How often does this happen?

And you would think that the increased altitude might make your BP go down--less air pressure.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

we go twice a year. i dont know why.

after this pandemic we will go again.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up