Why does my feet, knees & legs hurt so bad?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am now on natural thyroid after 11 years of being on synthroid + cytomel which had me feeling like I was dieing slowly. I am now feeling better but my feet , legs below my knew on left side of my body. My back and but tucks. Please tell me what are we doing wrong............

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Hi Denise,

Have you checked your blood work to see where you Iron and Vitamin D levels are? I know my muscles and joints were killing me till I finally asked to get my Mineral panel bloodwork checked, and sure enough, my Vitamin D and Iron were extremely extremely low. Now I've been taking Iron and Vitamin D supplements for months and I felt a whole lot better. So it could be that.

If it's not that it could be an autoimmune response from food allergies. Few months later on, after feeling better from the Iron and Vitamin D, I noticed that I starting to get werid joint pain, heart burn and feeling kinda depressed with werid headaches. After researching, it seemed I had Leaky gut, which is what happens when your body has food allergies which causes inflammtion of the stomach/intestine lining. This causes an autoimmune response and can cause joint pain along with other symptom.

Many people with Hypothyriod develop food allergies especially to Gluten, Dairy, Soy, etc. So that also could be the cause to your problem. If it is, then you'll want to avoid the problem causing foods.

Hope that helps smile

• Posted

Denise, the problem is probably your dose. Get the equivalent doses between synthroid and the natural thyroid that you are on. All I can tell you is that the natural dessicated thyroid Armour 60mg (which is the same as 1 grain) is roughly  equivalent to 100 mcg of Levothyroxine (a synthetic).

If I am able, I will get a table that will give you some equivalents but I would like to know which NDT are you on? That is the dose you should start at and then very slowly ramp up the dose until you feel well.

For what it is worth, when I started on NDT I felt 95% better (than on Levo), I did, however begin to get leg pains, no strength in my thigh muscles and pains in my knees. I increased my dose from 1 and 1/4 grains to 1 and 1/2 grains and the pains largely went away.

Let us know which NT you are on and the old dose of synthroid + cytomel.

• Posted

You just dont kknow how happy I am to have found others that really understand what I am going through. I thank you sooooo much. I am Natural thyroid 1 grain  97.5 I have no thyroid nor do I have any parathyroids. 
    • Posted

By the way,,,,,,,,, what is the grains? why is that so important?
    • Posted

The "grain" measurement is the old original unit in which the natural dessicated thyroid medication was measured. These days the natural medication is also often quoted in mg's, like I said above, 1 grain is equal to 60mg.  (Levo or synthroid is measured in mcg's - just to be complete). Both units, the grain and the mg are used these days - I am not sure why. 
    • Posted

OK, I am still working on this quesiton, there are a number of Natural thyroid medications and I cannot tell which one you are on from your reply. Perhaps I am just very tired and being a bit thick. Did it give any units for that 97.5 that you mention (like mcg?).

I don't have a thyroid either and I think they lost one of my para's during my operation! How can they do that!

• Posted

I too am not sure which medication you are on from your answer.

There are many Natural Thyroid medications and just to add to the confusion one of them is NatureThroid.

Does this help to explain it: natural thyroid is to Dog, as NatureThroid, Armour and ThyroGold are to Alsation, Labrador and Poodle, ie natural thyroid is the 'type' of thing and NatureThroid, Armour and ThyroGold are all different 'examples' of it.

I hope this helps, though I'm aware it may have just confused everyone more.

As to pains, I get pains as though I've sprained something, when I eat certain foods e.g. bread. Prior to being on ThyroGold I got shooting pains in my muscles. Because I'm a poor converter of T4 (thyroxine) to T3 (liothyronine - the thyroid hormone that the body can use) I was being under medicated despite the blood tests showing me as being in range. If one is not converting T4 it stays in the blood stream and fools the blood test into thinking you have enough thyroxine when you are still hypothyroid. As the thyroid is the prinary place where this conversion takes place, my theory is that anyone who has no thyroid, or a thyroid that isn't working, will be a poor converter and therefore needs T4 and T3. I believe this is why these people do better on natural thyroid or natural desiccated thyroid (NDT) as it is also known. By the way, for some NDTs, 1 grain = 65mg. My NatureThroid bottle stated this on the label. For some others 1grain = 60mg. ThyroGold is different again.

To give you an idea if eqivalent dose between NatureThroid and ThyroGold, I was prescribed 2.5 grains of NatureThroid and have found I need 750mg of ThyroGold. I weigh 54kg. NatureThroid made me swell up so I had to find an alternative without fillers.

• Posted

Wow!!!!!!!! The information that I'm getting from this website is by fare the "Best" and most helpful then I have gotten in the entire11 years since I have been sick. I recently found out after this new Doctor took

the time to actually check my T3 ( it was very low) as it took about 1 week to come back. Doctor said my T3 was very low. I have been sick for so longggggg taking care of a 4 year old with autism now has Ben the hardest thing I have ever done I. My life but I would always tell myself someday I know I will get better because I will fight this till I can't fight anymore. I was never sick in my life not even a back ache until everything was removed from my neck accidentally😞I have been to so many doctors I stop counting. Now I have found the most helpful people here. I thank you for taking the time to Reply back. Thank you again. I am taking

Nature thyroid now I finally understand now

• Posted

I'm sorry I clicked the reply to fast it's Nature thyroid

1grain=97.5 mlgs.

I know I need more my do tire so expensive I have not been able to afford to go get another prescription I will go back as soon as I can to get him to try me on thyro gold because I feel I swell S well all really similar to you all my problems. I never communicated with people that's on my same.........

• Posted

Thanks LAHs. I always think you and Shelley do a great job with the explanations and much better than me. So I'm really pleased you think so.
    • Posted

It's unlikely your doctor will be able to prescribe ThyroGold as it's not classed as a medicine. Even though it is a Natural Desiccated Thyroid product, it's classed as a nutritional supplement', which means people can buy it without a prescription. There are several NDTs classed as medicines your doctor can prescribe. The problem is, many doctors think synthetic thyroxine fixes hypothyroidism for everyone. So it can be difficult to find a doctor to prescribe NDT. Some people on this site buy it really cheaply without prescription. I needed one without fillers as I am allergic/intolerant to them. Fillers are the extra things manufacturers put in the tablets to make them, for example, more easily absorbed by the body and bind the tablet together. I expect if you ask, people will tell you which ones they are on.

I'm really glad I'm able to help. It's the great people on this site who rescued me when I was desperately trying to find an NDT without fillers when I became intolerant to all the synthetic thyroid medications.

We've all helped each other so much, that I, like everyone else, try to give something back.

PS always 'select all' and 'copy' your messages before clicking 'reply' so if it gets lost you can just paste it back in.

• Posted

Thank you.......it sounds like I am going through the same thing you went throgh. I would love to try the thyrogold. Please tell me how  to find it.I have tried everything. Its been a long misreable 11 years and now a child with autism. I would love to  find something I could purchase without the doctor writing a perscription that sounds like heaven. Please help me find this. Can I purchase it online?
    • Posted

denise, I do not know if this will be helpful or not to you, but I have Hashmitos and hyperparathyroidism. I have taken so many thyroid meds. Tried natural, synthroid, levo. Nothing worked for me until my pcp prescribed synthriod in the white pill. I am on 50mcgx3=this makes the equivelant of 150mcg per day. This took the pain away. I was allergic to the dye is the colored synthroid. I take 50,000 IU of vitamin D weekly. Believe I know what pain is. I fell broke both femurs and 2 artifical hips

• Posted

I've pm'd you where to get ThyroGold from. The site also comes up when searched on Google. It's worth looking on the 'questions and answers' section on the left hand side menu. Read the three free chapters of his book (at top of q&a's page). There's also a checklist to see if you are over medicating with thyroid hormone (which is useful whatever thyroid medication you are on). If you are in the uk you will need to print off the 'International shipping form'. If, like me, you have a number of allergies and intolerances, you will no doubt find it helpful to know that the 150mg tablets state on the bottle that it contains the following ingredients: "Bovine Thyroid Powder (from New Zealand) 150mg; L-Aspartic Acid 50mg; Coleus Forskohili 10% 12.5mg; other ingredients: vegetable capsule; silica; Glyceryl Behenate. Does not contain any artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives, expedient corn, dairy, eggs, gluten, rice, sugar, soy or yeast". I really hope it works as well for you as it has for me!
    • Posted

Hello Barbara thank you soooooo much I feel this thyroid issue has stolen my life / it's been 11 years that's a lot of my life but I know I will feel better one day altho I want to loose faith sometimes. It's people like you that I'm thankful for. Could you please tell me how much did you start with s d how much are you taking now
    • Posted

I started on 150mg and increased it slowly to give my body chance to get used to getting T3. I increased it to 300mg after 5 days because I wasn't getting palpitations and I was getting hypo symptoms. After that I increased it by 150mg every 2 weeks. I split all the doses, taking half of the dose an hour before breakfast and half 6-7 hours later.
    • Posted

I started on 150mg and increased it slowly to give my body chance to get used to getting T3. I increased it to 300mg after 5 days because I wasn't getting palpitations and I was getting hypo symptoms. After that I increased it by 150mg every 2 weeks. I split all the doses, taking half of the dose an hour before breakfast and half 6-7 hours later.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.