Why does my throat keep swelling?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have hashimotos. My antibodies were 1100 so the Dr ordered an ultrasound. It came back as normal with a small thyroid gland. BUT, the front of my neck, just above where the adam's apple is, swells up at different times. I almost always have a slightly sore throat when this happens but the swelling is quite noticable. Any thoughts?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It's actually my neck, not inside/my throat. 

• Posted

I have Graves' disease. My neck  keeps swelling  and I get sore throats too, that's from the swelling giving me Oesophagitis...acid reflux  comes back up and burns my tonsil area, wrongly diagnosed as tonsillitis! My glands get swollen. On ultrasound my thyroid wow as inflamed and lumpy  , I'm having a thyroidectomy soon.

the throat problems seem part and parcel with thyroid disease, and  should be dealt with as part of your treatment.

be sure to keep your Endocrinologisr posted about these symptoms . And all the best x

• Posted

Goiter, which is the neck swelling associated with thyroid disease, is common with Graves Disease but not with Hashimotos, I don't think.

There are facebook support pages for Hashimotos, you might get the answers on there.

The only other thing I know of that is worth trying is to get your calcium, PTH and vit D levels checked.  Parathyroid problems fairly often happen in conjunction with thyroid problems.  Raised calcium, raised PTH (parathyroid hormone) and low vit D would indicate a parathyroid adenoma.  Simple blood test to check it out.  Op needed if you have one.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.