Why does the medical profession ie,Gp's, always question pain relief when it is clear that one needs it?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am having a lot of pain.I have Crohn's disease. I have an Ileostomy and I am having a lot of trouble for the last 3 weeks. I am awaiting a scope in the hospital from my consultant and he told me to get the necessary pain relief when required.

Now the problem starts here. Two weeks ago I required an injection of Cyclimorph. My pain scale was 8 out of 10. The nurse called me in and proceeded to give me the third degree and made me feel really bad and embarrassed to say the least. I got the injection under duress and left feeling low and dejected.

That was 2 weeks ago and I now require another shot because I am in bad shape. I am having my scope next week.

I am afraid to go to the GP's and ask for pain relief. Do I suffer on? I always thought that when a patient is in pain they are in pain! You respect the patient and don't make them feel like a drug addict. My confidence is gone.

Thanks.

Ps: I know all about the rights and wrongs of pain relief as I am a NURSE.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

have you considered other alternatives to help relieve your crohns? such as homeopathic medicine
  • Posted

I have exhausted all these avenues with no effect.
  • Posted

I have crohns and was on predisone intermittently to relieve the pain. I havnt been on any medication since i discovered the importance of colon health. Thats why I ask. What is it that you did, or were taking?
  • Posted

I am on Infliximab/Remicade every 6 to 8 weeks. I cannot take Pred because I don't have any absorption due to Ileostomy. What I did// nothing, I only went for the pain relief as required as I am in pain. My pain score as it is ,,,is 8 out of 10. I understand the importance of colon health and I do adhere to all the rules even though it is trial and error when it comes to Crohn's.

It is the attitude of health care professionals towards genuine patients when it comes to pain relief that concerns me. I was made to feel really small and I left that day with very low self esteem. I f I was taking morphine everyday, yes I would totally agree with that nurse but it has now been 2 weeks since the last shot. In between I have been in agony because of the way I was treated.

• Posted

In between I have been in agony because of the way I was treated

im sorry i said anything. good day

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.