Why does Thyroxin make me feel worse?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have regular blood tests and have been given Metformin for Type 2 for the past six months. I often feel the need for a nap mid-afternoon but I put that down to the after effects of lunch! I have been morbidly obese for years and considering that, my energy levels are good. I am 65 this month and still work full-time and intend to continue. I also take Tamsulosin for an enlarged Prostate. Recently I was summoned by the doctor after routine blood tests and told I had mild Hypothyroidism for which I was prescribed 50g per day of Thyroxin. They made me feel terrible - every day for two weeks so I've stopped taking them and feel fine again. Seems like the Thyroxin gives me the symptoms of Hypothyroidism - loss of sex drive, tiredness, headaches. What's the likely outcome of not taking these awful pills? Any advice gratefully received.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I think that your energy levels won't pick up until at a least a month after starting on thyroxine. I must say I find it strange that you are getting a negative response from them. I am classed at prediabetic and the only reason this picked up was because I was suffering from tiredness. My hypothyroidism has been stable for approx 8 years now. I am still tired although trying loose weight, I am not obese but liable to become so unless I take care. My parathyroid levels are also high and I await an interview with an Endocrinologist . I am a woman of 73 and have pretty fit and active up to now. M
  • Posted

Thank you for the encouragement. I felt fine until I took Thyroxin! Maybe I have to stick with it for longer as you say. I only have to take one and I feel bad quite quickly. I think I might ask for another blood test for Thyroid and see if it is still too high.
  • Posted

I wonder when you are taking the thyroxine. I take mine in the morning 30 mins at least 30 mins before breakfast. It is often recommended to take them last thing at night,again away from eating anything. I don' t think they should be taken with any other medications. My husband also take Tamosulin but takes it at a different time from his thyroxine.It is a real bind sometimes trying to know what to so for the best.M
  • Posted

Hi. I think mvwaugh, may well have hit the nail firmly on the head! Thyroxine should ALWAYS be taken seperately from other medications. It's ok! You are not daft! Most of us are not told this cos most docs don't know! In fact my doc said swallow the lot together, and I'm taking meds for 4 different conditions!Also know that you should not take thyroxine within at least an hour of food (either side), and definitely not within an hour of dairy products as this interferes with absorption. Definitely go back on them, untreated Hypothyroidism is as dangerous, (if not a lot more more) than type 2 diabetes. If you put the cosiderations I have mentioned into place, and you still feel ill, then go back to your doc and explain. Write down what you have told us, and you won't get tongue tied when you are there, (we all know what that is like, it's part of the condition.) Good luck!
  • Posted

Thank you so much mvwaugh and pippa. I too am taking four other kinds of medication - all in the morning with Thyroxin! I will take it later in the day - an hour away from food and see how it goes. Given that I felt well and didn't suffer any symptoms made the effects of Thyroxin seem less tolerable. I will also note the point about dairy. Actually my Doctors are generally very helpful and I have learned how to "manage" them over the years! Interesting though to read in the medical notes for these drugs that they all interfere with each other. The makers of Levothyroxine for example, state that the Doctor should be advised if you also suffer from high blood pressure, diabetes and in particular, if taking Metformin! The makers of Metformin advise against taking ACE inhibitors (for blood pressure) or Thyroxin. It would require a very special GP to understand these combinations I am sure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.