Why does tremadol help with nausea and malaise?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I have been taking tramadol for a year and a half now, it started with needing it for gallbladder pain then 7 months after find out I had gallstones I got my gallbladder removed. After surgery I still felt sick, mostly nauseous every morning and left side pain. So I went back to doctors and they prescribed me more. I had ct scan and endoscopy and everything appeared good, but every morning I suffered from nausea and a feeling of being unwell, I take my pill and I would get better. I thought it was drug side effects since I felt better after I would take a pill, if I didn't take a pill I get chills and cold sweats. Sounds like addiction doesn't it? Well last couple of months the tremadol stopped working and my symptoms proceeded even after I took a pill or two, I also would get crazy panic attacks where my adrenaline would rise and I start going psychotic on every one around. My heart would start palpitations and my mouth would get dry. These weird episodes would come and go. Finally after a severe attack of adrenaline and irritability I googled my symptoms and hypoglycemia showed up. Today I took urine test and I have ketones and glucose in my urine. I checked my blood sugar for the first time today and it was 145 but I feel good right now so maybe when I feel sick and crazy I should check it again. I am almost for sure something is wrong with my blood sugars and my nausea is not from pill addiction but from messed up blood sugars and ketones in my body. I don't understand why I never thought about getting my sugars checked at the time of feeling sick or crazy with panic attacks but all I can say is tramadol has helped with the nausea and malaise. Anyone else relate to this?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi there!!! The nausea is absolutely from the tramadol. If I miss some one day, the next day Im soooo nauseous it is awful. It goes on until I take more pills and wait for them to kick in.

Ive been on tramadol for manyyy years unfortunately and I could tell you every small detail. Its such a horrible medicine and seeing innocent people like you dealing with it makes me sooo upset. It sucks.

The rage, is also directly from missing a dose or taking less than normal. It is the saddest most out of control feeling ever. Hopefully someone on here can help you further. I am not in any position to help, but I definitely wanted you to know, the nausea is a huge one for me with tramadol. Its the first horrible thing I feel every single time!!

Good luck and let us know if you figure something out.

Xoxoxo

• Posted

Hi Sarah

Good morning !  Tramadol can be addictive.   Everyone is different, I take tramadol when it is required for severe pain.  I have polymyalgia, and so stiff and pained first thing in the morning. I take 2 Tramadol but I don't take Tramadol regularly throughout the day.  When  have pain I take 2 capsules.  If having an easy day at home, perhaps I take only 4 capsules in a day.

Sarah why don't you go and see your doctor? He/she should be able to put you on the right track and probably another type of medication. 

• Posted

It sounds like you are in 'tolerance withdrawals' I suffered the same symptoms even when on 8 X 50g a day. I couldn't function until I had my meds and even then was suffering withdrawals. It has taken me over 2 years to successfully ween off this drug and even though I'm a year drug free I am still suffering withdrawals as it can take up to two years to feel normal again! These drugs are highly addictive and now doctor has had training on how to withdrawn you from this drug. All I can say is you have to go slowly, and expect to go through symptoms for many months, if not years. 

• Posted

Hi Sarah, how were you able to check your blood sugar & Keystones? Are you a nurse, or does someone in your family have Diabetes? It seems that you are still being checked by the hospital since your operation. So why don't you tell them about this. I'm sure they're the best people to get this sorted out for you. It doesn't sound to me like you were taking too much Tramadol. Not enough to give you the side affects you describe. Speak to your doctor.

• Posted

It's not the tramadol that is making me sick, i don't think the people above read my post correctly. I have uti test strips at home, for some time now every time I would feel a uti come I would use a test strip to check first before going to the doctors. For at least 4 months not the ketones and glucose would come out positive, I thought the strips were defective. I got a uti test done at one time at doctors and came out positive for bilirubin, she was so concerned about it that she didn't give me any more detail and just put me on antibiotics. Eventually of feeling like I was going to pass out with heart palpitations and dizziness I bought a ketone tester and it came out positive. Because I have no insurance I can't afford to go to doctors unless it's serious. I'm going to keep track of my blood glucose levels for a few months to make sure I am not a diabetic. I am however enzyme deficient and have to take digestive enzymes to help digest my food.

• Posted

Wow !! Sarah such similarities with my experience of tramadol apart from the blood sugar and ketone which I never had tested. I was on tramadol for 4 mths last year after an awful bad back.

Whilst it helped initially, after a while I started feeling rotten - cold sweats, nausea, bit dizzy, shaking. After a while I gathered that the tramadol wasn't helping at all so I quit (was only taking 1 - 2 caps per day). I hadn't been warned to taper off them. Had terrible withdrawals and was then hit by constant nausea and really bad anxiety. I ended up being off work 5 mths and now on antidepressants but feeling much better.

I've never had anxiety before and will.never take tramadol ever again - truly awful experience !!

• Posted

Sorry to hear this, I can go a few days without any tramadol and do fine with no side effects. My nausea is from having ketones in my blood and I also suffer from diarrhea and costipation, I have never had a normal bowel since I got sick. I also need a colonoscopy as a few times I've even had blood in my stools. My digestive system is out of whack and need testing. In the mean time on the days I do feel sick tramadol has helped abundantly with the symptoms. I looked up hypoglycemia and have had almost every symptom on the list except seizure, stroke, coma and death. Question is, what is causing these crazy attacks of hypoglycemia?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.