why dont the doctors believe my wife???

Posted , 2 users are following.

8 yrs ago, my wife slipped down the stairs at home and subsequently fractured her coccyx, she had treatment and everything good, however, two natural childbirths later she still suffers, she was prescribed naproxen but there is a possibility of stomach ulcers so she cant have them anymore, however the pain over the years has spread to her hips, she has been to the doctors, has been for xrays and has been for physio but they all say/show nothing, yet my wife some days stuggles to get out of bed. so what is causing all of this when the docs say there nothing there. i hate seeing my wife like this as does our children. please help.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

just to add, she puts up such a fight to go to the docs now as she feels as if she wasting their time, but how can some one be in so much pain be a time waster??
    • Posted

I can only speak for myself, but when I have suffered for years and was unable to find any doctor who would go that extra inch to care that I am suffering and really search for an answer and relief, I become feeling hopeless. There are too many doctors who will not go that extra inch.

I remain polite, but demanding for further action because I live in my body, the doctor does not and while he is sleeping fine at night, I AM NOT!

When it comes to second opinions, it is important to travel far away from the circle of doctors who play golf and vacation together and who will not step on another doctors toes because of precious friendships, leaving the patients suffering.

Your wife is discouraged, that is all. Bless her heart.

💛 Dawn, USA

• Posted

Hi kevMan,

It is frustrating isn't it?!?! I do not know where you are in the world, but here in the USA when I have run into the same brick wall, I always travel to a teaching University. I have found that that atmosphere of students and their teachers are up on everything new and the medical students want to make good grades and graduate with positive references, so I really get the best treatment.

Also, I abhor being unable to ask for pain medication without being treated like I am a crummy drug addicted criminal, because of the druggies who make it hard on those who really do need the medication and cannot obtain it because of them!

My heart goes out to your wife and I pray you will be able to find someone who will actually search for the answer.

💛 Dawn, USA

• Posted

I learned in 1998 that Naproxin and aspirin as well as any NSID's like them (I hope I used the right four letters to describe) are all products that prevent cartillage from healing. When I found this out, I quit cold turkey. I started taking a whole lot of products designed to combat arthritis. I took Glucosamine, Condroitin Shark Cartillage, and an herbal product as well as a homeopathic remedy for arthritis. I took all this for less than one year. When I stopped taking these products, I no longer needed to use my brace all the time. I only needed the brace when I did hard things. Nowadays I don't need the brace at all. I protect the area to prevent any further injury to that area. Otherwise I do anything I want or need to do.
  • Posted

Those products are known as NSAIDS. So I correct my earlier spelling of that.
  • Posted

I feel for both you & your wife. I understand how demoralising it is to be told there's nothing wrong when you know full well they really mean they don't know or have the time to investigate further. I found the best help for my backpain which stemmed from a coccyx injury years ago (it always flared up after childbirth) was to go & see the osteopath, this was the only way I got helped. There is always a weakness in this area for me but the osteopath has always been able to help me so that I am painfree. 
    • Posted

Mari-Elaine,

Thank you for sharing this. I had long forgotten psychopath. I am going to find one in my area for some of my problems.

💛 Dawn, USA

• Posted

Dawn, please don't go looking for a psychopath ........ the word you want is osteopath. I'm sure it was just a mis-typo but thought I'd better clarify.
    • Posted

Haha! It is the self correct on my cell phone! I failed to catch the error. One time it turned someone's name into WHEELBORROW!

Thank you for clarifying this!

• Posted

LOLOL, Guessed it was something like that but thought best to mention it.
  • Posted

Hi guys, thanks for all yours posts and messages of support, after much persuading the wife finally decided to go to docs (HALLELUJAH). Doc agreed to look back through her history and has agreed with my wife that there is something not quite right. They have taken bloods and have referred her for physio. Small steps but I think we are finally getting somewhere. Thanks again guys you were great. 😀😀👍👍

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.