Why has doctor called me back for routine appointment after DEXA scan

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi

I am 53 years of age and had a DEXA bone scan on my spine and hips a few weeks ago.

Being the anxious type, I told myself all would be well, and I would probably get a letter saying all was well after the results came out, I was told to wait six weeks.

I got a smear and mammogram and got a letter to say all was normal, but this morning i got a text from my GP to ask if I could arrange a routine appointment to discuss it.

Why couldn't they just send me a letter to say all was well, why do I need to go in to see them?

I have a poor diet and housebound, and take benzodiazepines which can cause osteoporosis so I am worried now.

Does the request for a routine appointment mean something is wrong, or could it just mean that the doctor wants to tell me in person all is well.

It seems a waste of nhs time to call in a patient to tell them the results of a test is normal, this is why I am worried.

Could it be that my GP just wants to reassure me that all is normal?

Thanks

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Christine,

I am not sure why my first comment was deleted. It is all mysterious as to what information I offered that violated this terms of this website.

Anyway, maybe I included a link for you to read.....just not sure since I cannot recall the details now.

I know that I had included much info about HRT Pellet therapy which was my choice instead of taking biphosphonates. Maybe you will have to read up on both and determine if HRT is a viable alternative. I found it to be the only natural product that actually reversed my bone loss over the last 22 years.

Let's hope this posting gets by the moderator!!!

Best wishes for your good health.

JoAnn

• Posted

Hi JoAnn

I am on oestrogen patches and progesterone medication. I was unknowingly peri menopausal for 6 years before I started HRT. I was sweating, anxious and all the other perimenopause symptoms but I thought it was related to medication. Also, at the time I smoked heavily for a large amount of that time, which is also supposed to be a risk factor. I use lozenges now as nicotine replacement therapy. I hope that because my calcium levels in my blood tests earlier this year were normal, that I wont have osteoporosis.

• Posted

This is an old thread but I wanted to add my reply, as some of the replies here are unnecessarily harsh.

Many insurance plans will cover bone scans even if you've never broken a bone, based on your consulting doctor's assessment. It can be unnerving to be called back for test results after a scan. I've having bone scans since I was 40 years old. My first one was ordered because I was thin and I'm also pale. My diet is good and I exercise, but I started getting call backs for consultation at around age 50. I appreciate the input and knowledge of the doctors, and I continue to get scans to know where I'm at. However, after much research, past and present, I made my personal decision not to take medical treatments or pharmaceuticals for osteoporosis. I will continue to receive the scans which are offered to me every couple of years, and I will continue to receive my doctor consultations and make informed choices. I suggest that if you have osteopenia or osteoporosis, to learn independently as much as possible, as well as listening to the consultant's advice. But don't worry, they will always call you in for consultations if the dexa scan shows bone loss.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.