Why has the pain come back?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had ankle fusion surgery with a bone graft 3 weeks ago, i stopped taking pain meds after one week because i did not need them.  Two days ago I had the cast and staples out, I have a boot that I have to wear and I’m non weight bearing. Since having the cast off and the boot on I’m now in a lot of pain, especially at the back of my ankle. Has anyone experienced this?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Allison. Sorry to hear you are having a rough time at the moment.

Yep I’ve been there with what you have described. I’m 5mths post left ankle fusion and doing ok I think! 

Just take your time, the pain for me changed so much to different areas of the ankle as the weeks have gone by.

The back of the ankle pain was probably the toughest part for me but remember this will get better. Of course it will take time but it will change; having an ankle fusion I have found out is more like a marathon.

Like I said just take your time, take pain meds’ when you need too, rest when you need too as well. Let us know how you get on too. 

Take care and take it easy.  

Claire. Xx

• Posted

Hi Allison, I hope your pain has gone!

The same thing happened to me. I had my cast on for 8 weeks and only had little twinges of pain. Once the cast was removed, I felt more pain. My physiotherapist said some pain is to be expected. 

If you are concerned, you might want to make a doctor's appointment.

My guess is that the pain at the back of your heel could possibly be your Achilles' tendon starting to heal. I think some of the pain is the foot readjusting towards normality.

I hope you have a quick recovery  Allison!

• Posted

Hi Allison, I’m 14 weeks today & still have pain & stiffness in the back of my ankle. It doesn’t appear to have much give to it but I’m hopeful this will get better. You’re so early into your surgery so I wouldn’t worry about it at this point. Good luck in your journey. Wish I could say it’s easy but it’s not. 

• Posted

Hi Barb! I hope you are having a good day!

It took me awhile, but I am learning patience. To me, time is irrelevant when it comes to recovery. 

I try to prepare myself for disappointments in the healing process, but need to lean towards being cautiously optimistic.

I wish you a speedy recovery Barb!

• Posted

Thank you Ann for your very wise words. I wish you a speedy recovery also. One day at a time. We will all get there. 
  • Posted

Just to add I think most patients get an increase in pain after going from a cast to a boot. A cast keeps it nicely fixed in a ‘neutral’ position and because there is more ‘wiggle’ room or more room for your ankle to move independently. I think this is more than likely to be the reason that people experience pain.

I’m a sister on a trauma unit as well as an ortho patient for the last 20yrs. I do reassure my patients that pain can increase once out of a cast and also about the effect nerve damage can have i.e. loss of sensation, shooting pain and numbness and pins and needles

I would make an appointment with your consultant/surgeon just for your peace of mind if nothing else as at the end of the day that is what they are there for. 

Hope you pain eases soon. Xx

• Posted

Hi Allison! I am sorry that you are in a lot of pain. In my humble opinion, possibly the pain originates from the Achilles' tendon?

With these concerning pains; it is always a good idea to see your doctor.

I broke my ankle and experience a lot of different kinds of pain during my ongoing recovery. Having the cast on; for me,was not very painful. Someone mentioned this  is because the foot stays in a neutral position.

After a foot has been  immobile for awhile, there are lots of muscles, bones, tendons and ligaments trying to rearrange themselves; I have been told this causes some pain.

Allison, have a speedy recovery!

• Posted

Hi Allison,

I am sorry to hear of your pain but interested in your experience with a bone graft.  I am a freelance writer and I am writing an article on the use of cadaver bone.  Would you be willing to talk to me about your bone graft?

• Posted

Hi Philip, yes I’m willing to talk to you, just let me know what you need to know.

• Posted

I am so sorry you are in pain my dear. I am 7 months post ankle fusion. What you are experiencing sounds very normal. This is my 2 nd foot surgery in 2 years. I constantly had painds change and move. Made me feel so crazy! I sure hope you feel relief soon! Itd okay to take meds off and on that is what I had to do.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.