Why have I shrunk in height?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I used to be roughly/2cm taller. I measured myself regularly and accurately for a long time. I'm supposed to be 191cm barefooted but now I stand at 189cm barefooted. In the past I used to carry heavy objects. Over time an aching pain developed in my upper back but it doesn't occur much anymore  since I've been to the chiropractor. I am a 27 year old man. I've had three different Gps and a doctor who have checked my back and told me that the pain is a muscular problem/ to do with my muscle and that I don t have arthritis or wear and tear. I even had an x-ray done and the results showed that my spine was normal and that there was no arthritis or wear and tear. Could my spine be slightly compressed from carrying heavy objects? If my spine is normal than what could have caused me to shrink in height?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Everyone shrinks as they age . You're a little young yet to have shrunk much but it is absolutely normal to shrink as you age. I'm 55 years old when I was about your age I was 5' 7", but today I stand about 5'6". And it doesn't have anything to do with you lifting heavy boxes. It has more to do with your spine compressing in the natural state, doesn't mean you have something wrong with your back .

• Posted

I am the same, I used to be 170cm. I am now 168cm.I am 63 years young.As amkoffee said you are a bit young . I do have a prolapsed disc and degen joints  (osteoarthritis) in my spine.
  • Posted

If you have a muscular issue, as has been diagnosed, I guess it's possible that your muscles are contracting which will shorten your 'stretch'.  posture has a lot to do with stature.  Try yoga and if you havent already done so, stop the chiropractic.  2cm is not a great difference.  In my 20's I was 5'9 and in my 40's I was 5'7.

• Posted

as stated everyone does louse height as one gets older, but unatural compression at a younger age can be a cuase for concern - so it is best to ask your GP about the issue. 

I know for myself I have gone from 180 4 years ago to 158 as of the start of this year, as in i've lost 22cm in 4 years time do to decompression of my spine to do Spinal Ostioartritis and i'm only 29. 

• Posted

I think compression of the spine can make a small difference. My guess though would be that you've developed curving of the spine. 'Muscular problems' essentially means that your muscles are out of normal balance. The muscles are supposed to work together in groups to keep the skeleton properly aligned. When, through overuse/bad posture etc, one muscle in the group gets weak and lazy the other muscles over-compensate. Your bones are pulled out of normal alignment. This leads to pain in the muscles due to stress and/or pain in tendons and ligaments due to too much strain being placed on them.

If your spine is pulled out of alignment that creates scoliosis - sideways bending. If you think about it - a pipe cleaner with kinks and bends in it will appear shorter than one of identical length that's completely straight.

Try Googling for MFR or trigger point treatment. There's a good chance that will give you symptomatic relief from the pain. To straighten out your spine and put a stop to the pain permenantly you'll need to address the muscle imbalance and restore normal posture and movement.

• Posted

I commented earlier but I had one other thought. You will actually be shorter at night then you will when you first get out of bed in the morning. Be sure you measure yourself at the same time every day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.