Why havent i had a kidney biopsy??

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was talking to a urologist I work with ( he asked how my kidney were now doing) and I told him that my egfr has decreased to 25. To which he replied "what was the result of your kidney biopsy?"

I told him I have never had one and he seemed very suprised by this as my ckd is caused by reflux which as this consultant says "once the damage is done by reflux it will not get worse"

He told me I need to ask for a biopsy as this should have been done a long time ago but doesnt want me to mention he told me as this will cause difficulties between him and my nephrologist as they also work closely.

How can I ask for a biopsy without sounding like ive been told too?

Feel a bit awkward now and dont know what to do.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Stephy,

Personally I would tell them that either:

You have been researching your symptoms online and all advice suggests the need for a biopsy.

Or..

You watched a television programme/ radio discussion/read in a book or magazine about a similar case as yourself and that suggested biopsy.

Or..

Come straight out and say you would prefer it if a biopsy was done and that you won't feel happy until you do.

Once you have broached the subject it opens up the topic for discussion...take someone with you that can help ask the questions if you are nervous about asking.

Hope all goes well...

• Posted

Thanks for the advice.

I just had my appointment with my nephrologist and my egfr has decreased again.

I asked about biopsy ( said i had been researching) he said they wont biopsy as i 9nly have 1 kidney and it works very poorly he doesnt want to cause anymore damage. Think thats a fair enough reason.

Thank you.

• Posted

I have to agree. .I only have one kidney and I would be very reluctant to let anyone mess with it.
    • Posted

Snap!  I'm another owner of just one kidney, and I so agree with the fear of having anyone mess with it - even some of the dyes they use in scans can adversely affect the kidneys, especially when there is only one.
  • Posted

I think i just gotta get to grips with the fact that dialysis is just around the corner.

• Posted

Are you on the deceased donor list? Does the UK do paired exchange transplants?
    • Posted

I live in Wales which has a new law that everyone is automatically on the organ donor register unless u opt out so I am. Ive never heard of paired exchange transplants. What is that?
    • Posted

Hi. My cousin was a 95% match and wanted to donate but they found a perfect match for me so my cousin is donating to someone else. So it is a circle with 3 donors and 3 recipients.
    • Posted

Nope. February 22nd is the pre-op day/final evaulation and then the surgery is the next day on February 23rd later in the day. And right now that is all I know. In the mail I just got the consent papers I have to sign and my blood test kit that I have to do the first week in February. I also will get my full schedule in the mail either this week or next week. I hope it comes tomorrow!
    • Posted

Not nice for you waiting but its good you have the date for the op.

Youll have to let me know how it all goes.

I bet youll feel so much better.

Good luck :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.