Why I'm seeing auras?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm here not to try to get a diagnosis but I want to have a "confirmation " either way I am waiting for Neuro and ophthalmologist appointment.

It all started in January this year

Blind spot then colored flashing zigzag lines enlarging upwards for about twenty minutes, but I don't remember feeling headaches at all because I was feeling very anxious that day.

Twenty three days later I got this aura again for about twenty minutes , a bunch of minutes later I felt a strong headache , I needed a ice pack to relief.

Eighteen days later the same thing but this time I felt a slightly headache.

Today i got an aura again, after two days

I was reading an article about health symptoms and I noticed this bright spot enlarging making things disappearing around. Thirty minutes later a very slight headache right side of head that went away fast, I Took one painkiller .

I have had headaches since teenage years, but never experienced this visual disturbance before,

I am male, 27 years old , I don't drink, don't smoke neither I use illicit drugs.

I don't feel anything during the aura, only panic, my hands starts to shake because I'm afraid. I don't like seeing things disappearing.

A week ago I did ecg: heart was ok.

Blood pressure was bit high for a 27 yo like me but nothing scary. I'm in a good shape, although My sleep pattern is messed, I go to sleep at 4:00 am wakeup 2:00 pm.

The thing is: since October last year I sort of got a panic attack when I was walking on streets, and I got afraid of walking alone. All this time I got secluded home, always anxious I never thought this aura thing would happen with me. It happens with both eyes .

Headaches always happened to me before I experienced this aura for the first time.

I remember going back home after work with throbbing headaches allmost eveeryday, eyepain too. But sincerely, I Prefer the pain than losing a bit of eyesight seeing annoying C-shapped rainbow colored shimmering lines. I'm bothered by this, afraid of seeing this again

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

Hi

It is always frightening seeing the auras whether you are used to them or not. Also, having a migraine really makes you feel anxious anyway and seeing the auras just increases this. I think it is completely normal to feel this way.

I am in my 40s and my migraines started in my teens. The nature of my migraines have changed over time and now I rarely get the horrible headaches and the feeling of sickness. What I do get is regular auras - at least 5 a month. It is always scary but I am used to them to a certain extent. I must say I prefer the auras now to the pain and sickness. When the auras come I try to relax as best I can and ride it out. I tell people around me (work mates usually) that this is happening and they generally are sympathetic.

I hope this helps.

• Posted

thanks for the reply

the funny thing is: I never thought this would happen to me.

i remember researching about migraine with aura and never thought it would Be frightening

i don't know what triggers it

the first time I had one I thought I was having a retinal detachment, after seeing the zigzag my consciousness said it could be a migraine. I will take an appointment to an eye doc I really need one cause my glasses is a bit old.

I only get a heavy headache one time after aura. All 3 auras I had the headache was very light right side of temples

• Edited

Ocular migraines my friend. I get them too. Mine seem to be a seasonal thing.Fall and spring but I did have one a couple of weeks ago.

I have never gotten a headache after except the last one, I did have a small headache.

I get the blind spot first. Then it escalates to the moving zig jag crescent moons that spark different colours that move across my eye.

I sometimes think it is both eyes too.

I find bright light really bothers me.

I just lay down and within 20-30 minutes it goes away.

I freaked out the first time thinking I was having a stroke. I called my eye doctor and went in. She explained it all to me and told me she has them too.

I would certainly have your eyes check, and get some peace of mind.

My daughter is 36, and just starting having them a couple of months ago out of the blue.

• Edited

I am keeping a log , when I go to the doc I will discuss with him

thanks for the reply, I really appreciate, it made me feel more comfortable

• Edited

When migraines are left untreated they get worse. So nip it in the bud and see the doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.