Why is D-mannose no longer working?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am a female living in the UK and was having on average two UTIs a year, sometimes more. It was always e-coli and became resistant to Amoxicillin. I discovered D-mannose three years ago and was so pleased to find something which worked . I was free of infection for 18 months, taking one D-mannose pill every night to prevent recurrence.

I stopped taking it six months ago because I thought I was cured. Then last month I got another UTI. D-mannose didn't work this time even though I always kept my urine pH at 7.5 plus and took at least 24 D-mannose pills a day. Finally after three days I had to take antibiotics. Two weeks after finishing them I got another UTI and again D-mannose didn't work. I know d-mannose only works on e-coli but my urine was tested and I was told that the bug was e-coli. So I can't understand why d-mannose has suddenly stopped working. If anyone has any ideas I'd be very grateful.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

very interested in this question as same problem. every few m onths back it comes again. nitrofurentoin and amoxicillin not working. havent tried d mannose yet. what are your symptoms, low bladder pain is worst, wakes me up.

• Posted

The worst symptom is the intense burning in my bladder which is almost constant and stops me getting to sleep. D-mannose did work for me three times but it only works on e-coli so be sure that it's that bug, hopefully you can give a sample to your GP for testing. I think it's worth trying. Get an over the counter remedy for cystitis containing sodim citrate - this will keep your urine pH level at 7.5 or above which is not a good environment for the bugs. Get some urine dipsticks to monitor the progress of the infection. Take a lot of d-mannose - 3 tablets every 2-3 hours between 7.00 and 10.00pm plus a dose in the middle of the night. Provided it's the e-coli bug it will at least relieve the symptoms and possibly cure as it did for me. Get the d-mannose from a reputable source. I wish now I'd persevered with it because I'm finding that although I'm on pivmecillinam (Selexid) it's very slow to work. Let me know how you got on if you try it. Good luck.

• Posted

I would ask your doctor in writing to resolve your infection...... They must find out what exactly your infection is susceptible to regarding the antibiotic to eradicate it.

I would have thought no other advice is valid.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.