Why is DLA now PIP?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had DLA from the year 2001 until about the year 2014. I was diagnosed with PTSD, and schizo effective disorder which required medication. I also had to see workers and psychiatrists. This allowed me extra income along with incapacity and income support but the support I had wasn't too good nor was the housing that went with it. All my benefits have been snatched away from me as soon as I've shown signs of getting better and now I have the stress of paying bills again. Is PIP any better?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

DLA ended for those aged over 16 in April 2013 and it's now PIP. Some say it's better, others say it's worse. I say it's much better and a lot fairer to those with mental health conditions. Again some will disagree.

For PIP it's not about a diagnosis, but how those conditions affect you daily. PIP is awarded based on points scoring through the descriptors and is available to see online by using google. Links cant be posed here. You can also complete a PIP self test online, this will give a little idea on what you could possibly score but again it's just a guide. Having some understanding about the benefit will always help and evidence will also be needed because they very rarely contact anyone for this. A face 2 face assessment is highly likely because it's rare to have a paper based assessment. Lots of information available online all about PIP just do some searching.

Why did your DLA end? Were you asked to apply for PIP and were refused so your DLA stopped? 

Incapacity benefit no longer exists and has been replaced by ESA (employment support allowance) However, this is slowly being replaced by Universal credit if it's a means tested benefit you need to claim. If your area is a full Universal credit area then you won't be able to claim ESA and will have to claim UC instead. 

Showing signs of improvement is a very good thing and could mean that you no longer qualify for a disability benefit like PIP but it really depends on how your conditions affect you. 

• Posted

I personally think it's a fairer benefit when compared to DLA but that's my opinion, DLA the refusal rate was extremely low and sometimes those that needed it couldn't get it and those that had a "title" diagnosis for there illness could

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.