Why is fatigue so predominant in thyroid disorders

Posted , 5 users are following.

Why is extreme fatigue so predominant in thyroid disorderas?

Does anyone know?

Jean

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, in short the horomones your thryroid make interact with the whole body. Many other body functions depend on the wonderful Thyroid!!!  If your body is low on the hormone, it is like having to operate on low power.  The med helps prevent the low energy and replace the much needed thyroid horomone. Fatigue is common in other disorders also like Cushings, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Chronic Fatigue syndrome, Epstein Barr Virus.  Our bodies need all minerals and horomones to be just right and not too low or too high.  I hope this helps.
  • Posted

From Web MD...

The thyroid -- a butterfly-shaped gland in the front of your neck -- makes hormones that control the way your body uses energy. Your thyroid controls your metabolism, which is how your body turns food into energy, and also affects your heart, muscles, bones, and cholesterol.

So...the food we eat isn't turned into energy, hence we have low energy and put on weight.

No wonder we have so many problems!

• Posted

Hi Barbara and Shelly, Jay 

Do you know if headaches a sign and symptom of a thyroid disorder?

Jeanx

• Posted

Hi Jean

Did you say you had diabetes?

Have you seen this article? I was looking through the articles on Web MD as a result of the link Jay sent,and came across it and thought you might find it interesting. It's on the web MD United States page.

It's titled:: 'diabetes drug metformin may affect thyroid in some patients'

Barbara

• Posted

Hi Barbara

I haven't been diagnosed with diabetes but nothing would surprise me with the signs and sympoms I have.

Jeanx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.