Why is it doesn’t go away for good?!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Had this condition now for a month. I think it started with Smashbox glitter eyeshadow which I’d rubbed!! 

So I’ve stopped using that and had minimal make up on since. Got it to calm down and wore eyeliner and mascara once and it’s flared back up. 

I’ve read all about what causes it but nothing as to WHY it stays?! Maybe if I understand this it’ll help me come to terms with it. It’s not a virus like heroes so why?! 😢

Plus is there any make up I can wear again? TIA

3 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Dear Kerrigc,

I got Blepharitis from using old mascara. I was able to kill it but it did take over 3 months. I found it to be a Staph infection in my eyelashes.

A friend killed hers with an Avon, antibacterial, facial scrub. When I went to look for that product it was reformulated and no longer had the ingredient in it that killed her Blepharitis. 

I ended up using Wet Ones, antibacterial hand wipes, to kill mine. I was desperate as it itched all the time.

I tried shampoo and antibiotic drops from the eye doctor but the problem would not get better.

The ingredient in Wet Ones that works on Staph is Benzethonium Chloride. If you have sensitive skin or are allergic to detergents, fabric softeners or lanolin you may not be able to use them. Just under 20% of people are allergic to the Benzethonium Chloride. 

I posted, on this site, how I used them. If you need that info let me know.

The last couple of months were only twice a day so not bad at all. 

Be sure and look up online what Benzethonium Chloride is and how it works. Research Blepharitis causes too.

If you can't use the wipes there are people who have posted about tea tree oil and Manuka Honey too.

You should be able to get some relief soon from reading the info on this site.

Lynda79

• Posted

Hello! For anyone who is trying to get rid of blepharitis, or trying to control flare ups, here are products and things I did that helped me. I don’t have blepharitis anymore, however, I will have flare ups during allergy season which is from March-April depending. 

1. I wash my bed sheets and pillow covers once a week. 

2. Wet Ones really helped me too. I remember trying this out when Lynda first recommended it and it really killed so much of the bacteria. 

3. Cleaning my makeup brushes and palettes DIRECTLY after using them! This is important because if you don’t, the bacteria can live on there. I would clean them with normal Japonesque brush solid shampoo and then spray them with alcohol. Alcohol will help in killing the bacteria as much as possible. I also sprayed my palettes with alcohol. 

4. For anybody who wears false eyelashes, I recommend True Glue, the vegan formula. It does not contain formaldehyde which is actually  the ingredient that caused me to have blepharitis. True Glue contains ingredients such as Rose Water, sunflower oil, etc. 

5. Systane eye drops. This really did help from my eyes from the dryness blepharitis caused. I would use them twice a day, and they were especially useful after I wore makeup. 

6. Drinking tons of water. I know this sounds stupid, but I noticed that when I started drinking at least 3 liters of water a day, my blepharitis started to clear up so much and wearing makeup started to become way easier. 

7. Coconut oil or hypo-allergenic makeup wipes. Instead of using the Neutrogena makeup wipes, I used coconut oil to remove the makeup or any organic hypo-allergenic wipes. The neutrogena wipes irritated my skin so much to the point where my eyelids would be itchy and cause another flare up when inconvenient. 

8. Tea Tree Water from Lush. I bought this because I actually needed it for my skin. However, I noticed it would ridiculously reduce my swelling and awful red puffy flare ups at about 80%. 

Best of luck to anyone trying these! 

• Posted

thanks for the info i was just diagnosed with it, am super depressed as i already had eye issues and must wear eye makeup at all times lol. Thinking back I have not been drinking lately (due to overactive bladder)  and i'm quite sure that you're right about the effects of not drinking.

• Posted

Start getting used to it, I've had it for years.

• Posted

Weren’t you the one that used Manuka Honey and claimed it was such a miracle? So what’s up ? 
    • Posted

Yes.I was one, Dawn was the first. I still have Blepharitis, and am using the Manukà Honey. I don't know if it will cure it or not, but the honey has been a God send. I use very little Sustane eye drops, and have few symptoms. I've tried many things, and it is the best so far. 😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.