Why is it important to change the location of the patch?

Posted , 15 users are following.

I've asked my pain mgmt Dr why it is important to change the location of my fentanyl patch every application but he couldn't come up with an answer. I have changed the location every new patch but I'm still curious as to why they say it's important to do so. Can anyone please explain why they say this? I've tried looking it up but have come up with nothing. I'm currently on 50mcg Q72h along with oxymorphones 10mg Q8h. I've been slowly trying to wean myself off every month as I have children and am also a full time student and hate the fact I've been on narcotics for 5+ years after breaking my back in the Navy, but no-one has been able to give me a solid-legit reason as to why patch placement is imperative. Any answer or thought that makes sense would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Brandelyn,

I would like to know the answer to this also.

Thank you, Donna

• Posted

I was on fentanyl 100 every 3days but lower back pain is bad as ever so pain doc said 125 but change two days am now on 150 but what does two days do as 3days must still have dose in patches
  • Posted

I am new here so I wish to say hello to all. I've been wondering about alot of these questions about the patches sinch i am in PM. I too find myself like clockwork that when the 72 hours ends I start gettinga cold sweat. I also have to change the spot everytime due to irritation I do receive. Does anyone else have a cold sweat after 72 hours or is it just me?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.