Why is itching so much worse at night

Posted , 8 users are following.

After yet another sleepless night, I am wondering if anyone knows of any research that explains why it is so much worse at night.  I can usually fall asleep, but when I am in the throws of an outbreak...like now... I am awakened several times with the itching.  Nothing seems to help. 

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lainimac, Could it be the heat.  Often at night, you can be quite warm, perhaps the icecube in a flannel trick might work, that someone else said worked for them.  It might be worth a go, at least.  Just make sure that the ice doesn't touch your skin or you could burn yourself otherwise.
  • Posted

Thanks Marie....I usually sleep exposed with the A/C on but it still could be the heat.  Seems related to being in a prone position which makes no sense to me.  I have tried an icepak and do get temporary relief, but it still doensn;t stop the itch from waking me.  I think the sleep deprevation is the worst. 
  • Posted

Being in your place I'd use pure chimp super combo, it helped me much when I had the same skin problem.
    • Posted

Hi, Now that is interesting, I've been looking at that and got some samples to try, and if I like, I plan to get full size.  Also, I am hoping for a sample of their tea to arrive soon.

It's good to know that someone else has tried it and it works.

• Posted

Wow, that sounds like a great cream! "Sunflower oil, extra virgin olive oil, shea butter, hemp wax, banana extract, sea buckthorn oil"
  • Posted

Hi Lainimac,

Ever since I had my inner thighs flare up for the better part of a year, I've worn something soft and cotton to make sure my thighs can't touch each other and get sticky. This may be of no help to you. Itching hasn't been my main LS complaint – it's been the tearing of my perineum.

• Posted

If you have a busy day, you probably rush around doing all your jobs and you haven't got time to deal with it.  I find night time is the worst, especially if I am using a steroid cream, without moisturiser!  I have to make myself not start scratching!!
  • Posted

For me I have to take either benedryl or tylenol pm which has same medication as benedryl.  I have chronic hives and carpel tunnel which is why I take those, but it seems to also help with the LS itching, plus I always put some form of ointment on it.   Find an ointment or cream that works for you and use it every night. Hope you get relief soon.
  • Posted

That is a brilliant question.  I too would like to know the answer to why it is worse at night.  The heating of the body sounds like a good reason but it would be nice to get it confirmed.  I know my itching subsided when I started using the clobetasol, and keeping everything moisturised so that it never gets dry.  I haven't itched since starting this treatment.
  • Posted

How about a pillow between the knees to keep the thighs apart?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.