Why is medication so frowned upon?

Posted , 8 users are following.

After 5 years without antidepressants for anxiety and depression, I'm considering going back on them ... again. I've never liked the idea of being on them, because I thought it made me look weak. The couple times that I went off meds for a short time, then ended up back on them, I felt like a failure, which is what I'm up against again. There's a part of me that thinks that I'm the type of person who will need meds for life, but the stigma around that is just as bad, if not worse, than the stigma around mental health. That doesn't just happen from those who never had a mental illness, it happens alot among those that do. I'm just curious as to why meds are frowned upon.

I'm also interested in hearing from anyone who made the decision to stay on meds for life, and how people handle the naysayers. After 22 years of fighting, I'm just tired, and would like good quality of life no matter what my final decision is.

Thanks,

Kim

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I don't think anyone can say meds are good or bad. It's just what works for you. Personally I don't take meds and never plan to , therpay works for me and is much safer. I get the same kind of venom for not choosing meds. Theres no right or wrong, or failure or success, do whatever works

• Posted

Hi..I have been on medication for many, many years...on the highest dose, I must admit they probably saved my life....

I have three sons who all have mental health problems. They also will take medication for life....and i have to say that once on medication, they have got their lives back....

I have no problem with medication...at all....if you are in pain, you take pain relief without a second thought...so ditto to antidepressants and antipsychotics...

Try not to worry about what others think, it is not a weakness in any way...people cannot tell anyway that you are taking them...

Please, put yourself first, they do help, I am on six medications for various problems, and the highest dose of antidepressants...your health, and very importantly , peace of mind must come first....I truly wish you well and send you warm, and sincere hugs,

....dee xx

• Posted

There's 3 generations in my family where mental health has been an issue. Anxiety seems to be the prominent one, followed by depression. Although I was diagnosed with both years ago, I mainly felt the anxiety. At one point I even argued over the diagnosis of depression. lol If I did have it, it was mild until the last two years. I have a deeper understanding of severe depression now, because in January "heightened grief and symptoms of PTSD" were added to my label. Although they seem to have gone down quite a bit, I'm still stuck with the rest. At 45 years old, there's a chance that hormones will made issues worse soon.

Meds or no meds, it seems like support is hard to come by unless it's paid for. Stigmas are horrible.

Thanks for your reply. smile

• Posted

I think it's goes back to past times and being a bit 'mad' hence so many are so reluctant to admit they have mental health problems and taking medication is accepting it. We have moved on thankfully but unfortunately there is a stigma that lingers. In an ideal world it would be great to have therapy and anxiety is managed but it's not that simple. I think when anxiety gets so bad there is a chemical and hormonal imbalance, this is where medication can help. Think it also depends on your personality, and how you deal with things.

• Posted

I dont think meds are frowned upon at all. They are given out like candy by doctors. There are 250 million people using anxiety meds. 40 million on benzos. The stigma does still exist though. It seems the younger generation is very anxiety ridden on the whole which is scary and they arent stigmatizing it. It is handled terribly by the medical field i think they need to be taught a lot more about mental illness and all take a course in it and nutrition. You do what works for you, it is a choice.sometimes it is needed and that is okay too. As we speak 26% of the world is dealing with some kind of anxiety related disorder. What needs to change is the care, the care itself isnt up to par. Every person who recieves medicine should recieve full knowledge of the medicine and why they are on it and noted to join it with some useful therapy. Cbt should be taught in every single middle school. It will help with or without anxiety and calm down many issues at a young age. Cbt or group meetings should exist at the local libraries and be easy accessible to anyone and everyone. Every government should recognize the disability level and the money it costs to deal with mental illness is very high and its more cost effective to provide easily accessable mental help. In regards to cbt at least or health related skills and tools. There should never be any waiting lists for anyone. Not even that expensive to provide all that. Its proper attention and care to human beings. It is as important as a gym class and a healthy lunch..its mental health and i have no clue why so many stigmatize it anymore. It is just too common in this day and age so people need to wake up. They got gym in schools they can very well get in cbt and mental health strategies. It all goes back to survival of fittest and the animal extinct to pull away from each other if something is wrong with them. Look at the animal kingdom and how they handle each other..we are animals and i guess not everyone and all parts of many humans have evolved just yet. You do what is best for you, it is a choice and who cares who tells you otherwise. It is a choice. There are many choices and some intertwine to get the best outcome. One day if they have a pill that truly works and can reset the whole fight or flight scenario somehow it will be the most used medicine in Earth. That im sure. 
  • Posted

Hi hun, I have just been prescribed Sertraline I fought long and hard not to go on them, but I am not doing well without them , so what have I got to lose, I know of a lot of people in their 70 s and 80 s who have been on some sort of anti depressent for life, and they seem to cope better on them than off, as my friend said to me today, if a person has a broken leg they use crutches so what s the difference, I have had family issues, and no back up for years and years, and I just feel so worn down and worn out, I trust my doctor so am going for it, I am so sorry you feel as you do, but they really are not a sign of weakness, I think its a sign of strength to get help and admit you may need it, good luck huni , never say you feel weak , you are doing so well to recognise that you may need some help xxx Good luck to both of us in life hun x
    • Posted

Thanks for such a kind reply! I used to take Zoloft as well, and if I go back on meds, they'll be my first choice. Even though I posted this question in the anxiety forum, the meds would be used for more than anxiety. My psychiatrist also made a health analogy by saying if some has diabetes, they would take their medicine for it, and this is no different. I've been her patient for 18 years or so, and I like how she never pushed meds on me, or said that I'd do better without meds. It's nice to have a choice, and a doctor that knows me both on and off meds. Sometimes they're needed, and sometimes not, but I'm tired of the rollercoaster. The doctor also knows how I feel about the stigma, so it's nice that she's so relatable.

I've asked my husband and daughter if they think I should go back on them, but they just say that they don't know. I figured they would since they're stuck with me. lol That's what pretty much lead me here. So far this seems like a nice place with supportive people. smile

• Posted

I had once said that if needed i will continue with medication for the rest of my life. And i meant it. Psychotherapy had absolutely no bearing on my GAD because the chemical imbalance was so major. I was in fact told by each doctor who saw me that they are confused because my psychological state is normal and my responses are fine but the anxiety symptoms kept worsening regardless. I didn't believe i was actually fixable as nothing seemed to help, until i got given a medicine that actually worked at a dosage that actually worked. Once i started to regroup there was no issue in my mind. I'd rather be medicated until the end and function than be lost as i was. It is not a sign of weakness. It is a sign of a disorder. If you are a diabetic you don't have a choice but to take insulin. If you have high BP you have no choice but take meds. I have no hang-ups about it and i found that most people responded positively to my decision because i feel comfortable with the idea and it sort of filters through to them. I have met many people who attempted to push through their opinions how exercise, diet and relaxation techniques would work and how medicine is poison. I always say that this is much the same as some fresh air helps with a mild cough but for pneumonia you tend to actually need antibiotics and cortisone nebulizers! They always retreat. As it turned out after 12 years on it i was taken off medication. Therapy was very successful and my brain picked up at the right pace at some point. It has been over 3 years now. If i ever have to go back on it i will certainly not feel like a failure. I am grateful that i know I can be ok either way. smile we are lucky to have the option i think.

• Posted

Tell me,why you are even rolling this around,are you serious. I am on meds for life.Would not even ever consider going off meds,  because I was a nervous child and grow into a anxious, panic adult. It's a chemical imbalance,although I believe a trumatic event can bring this on. I don't know  anyone that thinks this is a sign of weakness. In fact, half the people I know are on them. It's no one's business in the first place. Your only hurting yourself. I sure as heck wouldn't want to live in a state of constant angst. It's hell on earth. Do yourself a favor and get back on them, My goodness, stop the madness.

• Posted

I'm new to forums, but noticed the division between those who use meds, and those who refuse them, but go to therapy. I've noticed that many of the ones that use therapy only, tend to look down on those who use meds, and sometimes come across like they're better than the med users. That was something I didn't expect to see here, which is why I asked. If I decide to go back on meds, and be part of a forum, I wanted to be around positive, and supportive people.

I do think that my anxiety and depression are due to a chemical imbalance. Even though I was diagnosed at age 23, when I look back now, I see that the signs and symptoms were there even as a pre-teen. Others in my family have been diagnosed as well, but they either never took meds, or took them and were able to get off of them. That's where the failure part comes in.

• Posted

You are partially right, but selectivly so. Yes some prefer therapy and look down on those who don't. There are also med users who dismiss therapy with little or no experience of it. Theres also those who do either who couldn't care less what people do. I count myself in the latter,i know what works for me and don't look to or need anyone to tell me what might be best for me. That doesn't mean I don't value others advice, but I won't ever demand that someone else make my mind up for me. That isn't what these sites are for. They should be for friendly advice and support - and that's it. We shouldn't act like a counselling or therapy service or as pharmacists who know all about all possible drug interactions. There tends to be a lot of that unfortunately sometimes,people don't realise how utterly dangerous and irresponsible it is, we could damage someone irrevocably by giving some well meaning but totally incorrect advice.

• Posted

Anxiety disorder is an illness just like any other.Had you an infection, say, then you would not hesitate to take antibiotics so why should anxiety disorder be any different?

Therapy works for some and not for others so you should not judge medication as a sign of weakness. Struggling along without any assistance harms no one but yourself. If you accept that you have a problem, without shame, then you are taking control. If others see it as a weakness, as a mental illness then that's their problem and their lack of empathy.

You have to ignore what you perceive to be the opinions of others and do what is best for you and if medication is the help you need then so be it. To all those who regard anxiety/panic disorder as a stigma then I say, Walk a day in my shoes. They'd soon change their minds I can tell you!

You are tired because you are struggling without seeing a way out of your illness, and I stress it is an illness. Struggle no more. Do what is best for you and that which makes life, and coping with your illness, better, and to hell with what anyone else thinks. They're not the one suffering, you are.

Positive steps in taking control will lift a great burden from you. I have taken medication for years because it helps and I wouldn't dream of worrying what others though of me. I've got enough on my plate with the anxiety illness

I wish you all the very best. Take chargesmile Vacillating will enhance your anxiety. Once you make a decision and stick to it you will see a way forward .

• Posted

Thanks so much for your kind, and positive reply. Everything you stated I already knew, but accepting it is hard, especially when I thought I beat it. Finding this site, talking to others about their struggles, and getting information, and opinions has been amazing. The only thing left is taking that first step again. It helps knowing that I can come here whenever I'm stuck, and talk to others who are going through or have been through the same thing.

Thank you!

Kim

(I'm going to screenshot your reply for the times that I need a kick in the butt)

• Posted

We all suffer setbacks. They are vile, I know, because they undermine our confidence in our ability to cope. Just when we are striding forward, bang, out of the blue,  the anxiety symptoms knock us flat on our ass.

But we don't get anywhere sitting there and letting it defeat us. Anxiety is our enemy. We have to get up, move forward again.

It's an endless battle I know. But you can do it! You can. Believe and you're halfway there honey smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.