Why is my nail bed like this??? (images)

Posted , 2 users are following.

it's hard, a bit wiggly on the left side, very clearly discolored. been the same way for over a year now, but I remember the bed was like this since the nail part fell off. for some reason I'm only really questioning it now. tried filing it. didn't go great. got smelly powder everywhere. I don't think any nails will be growing there again. before the nail fell off, it was kind of stabbing the eponychium, which was discolored (because of the stabbing), but not anymore. I don't remember any trauma prior to the nail abnormalities, and I remember not remembering any trauma when I first noticed them a year ago.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

It looks like a very nasty case of fungal infection. It probably will be quite difficult to treat but do look at the nail fungus treatments in your pharmacy/chemist. Dont buy the cheapest. If you have any success it will take 18 months or more to start showing. You should see your doctor or dermatologist who will ask for toenail cuttings to test for the type of fungus. You can be given oral medication by your doctor, which you have to take for at least 6 months to be effective but there are possible side effects.

You should start some sort of treatment as these fungal infections can spread to the other nails. From your picture it looks as though you have been lucky so far.

• Posted

I will send you a message.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.