Why is pain double barrelled

Posted , 4 users are following.

Have all the pain back . Sharp and burning . But it seems like a double barrel pain in that I have it in sternum and the joints of ribs but also directly behind from sternum in my spine between shoulder blades . It's so painful and now my neck is aching slightly too . And sometimes it hurts when breathing . Anyone else get these symptoms

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Yes, I get all those symptoms too intermittently I'm afraid.

It is double barrelled because the front and back ribs hinge. See Steve August's Costochondtitis explanation on YouTube - very logical. My upper abdomen also causing me grief at the moment making sitting really uncomfortable. Anybody found a comfortable chair?

Sorry to hear it's back - did you do anything to set it off? I've just been for a half hour walk around the block to try to alleviate things, which helps me. Twice a day, everyday! So boring but necessary to keep things moving. I've tried to keep off painkillers and have found some relief in using Deep Heat spray and Deep Heat muscle massage roll-on (both non medicinal). The roll-on can really get between the ribs.

Have you kept a note of your symptoms over the time you've had Costo? I have found this really useful because it gives me hope when I look back and read how virtually useless I was then, to how I am now. My mobiliy has improved and I no longer whince with sharp pain when I move to do the simplest thing, like I used to. In the early days I took lots of prescription strength Co-codamol and now just ibroprofen or paracetamol if Im desperate to take the edge off. One small glass of red wine in the evening, which my GP approves of, helps too - got to have something to look forward to! It's these tiny improvements that make me feel that there is light at the end of the tunnel and I've got to remain positive.

Last week I went to the swimming pool (first time in over a year) and carefully did 2 SLOW breast stroke lengths, then into the Jacuzzi for 5 minutes. I repeated this twice more. My idea was to use hot/cold therapy which didn't do any harm and at least made me feel like part of real life again. Last year I couldn't even do 2 strokes, which I might have forgotten all about if I hadn't written it down.

Don't get me wrong I'm still in pain all the time to a greater or lesser degree but am learning to manage it. My GP said that now I've had it for so long, 16 months, that chronic pain pathways have established themselves, and basically I've got to remain positive, keep distracted and to acertain extent learn to live with it. I've been offered steroid injections which I've declined for now since I read that they only provide a temporary fix. Anyone any comments about injections?

I'm going to keep going to the pool/Jacuzzi and will do the same small routine with a 2 day recovery gap between sessions and see what happens. I'll report back. I'm also still finding the Backpod brings relief and doorway stretches.

Hope this post has been of use. Good luck! C.C.

• Posted

I get that kind of pain as well. sorry you are experiencing this? I also was diagnosed with Fibra Myalgia. In addition to the Costro. I take neurontin for pain. It really helps. I also take Tylenol. Ice packs or heating pads, Arnica gel, Lidocaine patches, Hope this helps. Feel better. It wont last forever. Promise!!!  smile
  • Posted

Sorry that you also suffer from this. It really does effect your every day life right? Same. I get the pain in my left ribs and the pain radiates to my back. It can be a dull pain but sharp attacks constantly through out the day. I have been suffering 3 years and I find the only pain relief that sort of works is Amitriptyline and heated bean bag.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.