Why is this so difficult?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Okay. So the last time I posted on here I was tapering off wine using beer. That doesn't work. I had one day when I had one beer, was really proud of myself, then had three bottles of my favourite wine to celebrate the next day.

I've tried reducing my intake, as recommended by some lovely people on here. I have come down from three bottles to two. I actually had less than a bottle one day last week and felt really good the next day. Well, as you all know, the next day I celebrated my less than one bottle of wine day by drinking a hell of a lot more.

I have been to my doctor. I was told that what I was drinking wasn't enough to worry about. The fact that I have stomach problems, palpitations, night sweats must be due to my age. He prescribed me with peppermint oil!

Yes, I might be on the perimenopause, I'm 45. But I can't get any help from my GP. I have PTSD. All my GP did was double my dose of my usual medication, prescribe me peppermint oil and send me home. Is it always this difficult to get help?

Are there any other methods I can try to get off this damn demon alcohol? Help anyone please xx

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

If you drink more than 5 Uk units of alcohol a day, and are unable to reduce on your own, and are not at risk of alcohol withdrawal symptons, then you have a LEGAL RIGHT to be assessed for the medication Selincro (which you may have read a lot of on here).  Of course, Selincro may not be suitable for you but you won't know that until you are assessed for it.

This legal right is one of your consumer rights under the terms of the NHS Constitution.

However, in most areas it is not your doctor that would assess you for it, but the alcohol services unit in your area.  Your doctor should have taken on board what you are concerned about and referred you to the alcohol services unit for them to assess your drinking levels etc.

You could either go back to your doctor and request the referral OR in most areas you can actually ring them and self refer yourself.

Obviously not sure which area you are but if you go onto your local council website and search for alcohol it should give you the details of who has that particular contract in your area, and a phone number for you to ring and arrange an appointment.  Once there, you will need to chat this over with them and if you think that medication to help you reduce is something that might work for you, then you can ask them to assess you for Selincro.

• Posted

Hello jbgf2015,

I am just another person on this Forum, no kind of expert.  Joanna has the best advice for you.  She knows all about the alcohol issues and the best ways to tackle them. 

Just follow her advice.  You deserve the treatment available.  We have a condition... Alcohol Use Disorder, I learned that on this Forum.

I hope it goes well,  Good Luck,

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

Tapering is hard, once you have had a couple, it is hard to keep your will power up.

Medication, such as Joanna suggested, is the best route. There are quite a number of options and as has been said, whilst one type may not work, there will be one that does and if you don't try them, you aren't going to find out.

BTW, typical reaction of a GP, most of them don't know the first thing about alcohol addicition or how to treat it or don't want to.

PS As a bloke I find it worrying that I read perimenopause and didn't have to look up the meaning of it, as I already knew.

• Posted

I LOVE WHAT RHGB SAYS..once we indulge..its so hard to manage.

​First it is the desire to stop...and then the willpower.

​And if you then need medication to help you stay stopped or be less of a drinker as the Sinclair method...than that is what you do.  But, every person who wants to stop really has to commit to it..and just don't take that first drink.

• Posted

Hello Misssy2,

I just want to pop in here, if I may, and clarify (so that there is no possibility of missunderstanding for anyone) that The Sinclair Method is a treatment for alcohol use disorder - and the reduction in drinking over some months is a result of the reversing of the brain to its pre-addicted state.

With the alcohol obsession removed, at that point someone can easily chose to STOP drinking altogether if they wish, and indeed many do.

It should be viewed as a way to stop drinking, albeit it with a gentle reduction over some months during which alcohol means less and less and less, rather than the 'just don't take that first drink' white-knuckling... rather than as a way to be less of a drinker.

The destination is the same, just a different way to get there biggrin

• Posted

I am sorry if I offended you , in the past, Joanna.  Please forgive me.  
    • Posted

Thanks Joanna.  Could you now please let me know where to get a thick skin?  
    • Posted

ROFL!

I think I got mine through drinking too much and having to fend off all those people who tried to tell me I drank too much.

• Posted

yes..i think people just struggle because the method is not immediate...us alcholics...always want immediate gratification...which appears to be the struggle with the method for most.  And I do see results for people on here...that are willing to tough it out...keep trying it...and not expecting the immediate gratification.

​This is why it wouldn't work for me...I need the immediate satisfaction which only abstinence can bring after a week...vs..the constant torment of drinking and reducing..and trying to manage...all or nothing for ME.

• Posted

Ha, ha ,ha !!!

I had to Investigate 'ROFL"... such a Dinosaur !

Where there is laughter, there is life.   Live it on !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.