Why now but how do I cope?

Posted , 3 users are following.

For a very long time this has not happened but I had one hell of a flashback  today which I'm still shaking from now hours later.  How do I cope how do I stop them? Please no silly responses this is a serious question just feel so frightened scared to sleep in case this happens again? 

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

When in the midst of a flashback i too find it hard to snap out of it. What has helped is writing out my feelings and thought process' behind, then write the truth. Reminding myself of the positives. That I am safe and the trauma is not happening anymore. It's a process of nurturing and healing our minds. We need to remind ourselves over and over until our minds become stronger in that truth. That we are safe, the trauma is not happening again. 

Exercise or talking to friends helps. Having a home environment that sends signals that you are safe. Walks in nature etc.

And if you feel the need an anti anxiety med from the doctors could help too.

• Posted

That is great help thank you,  I will try that technique to help me and see if it helps me.  I hope so have wanted to sleep for so long,  luckily counsellor is back tomorrow so I will be explaining this to her tomorrow,  can I show her what you sent me in your message please,  so she can see what I have tried to do to help myself? Thanks for your help,  talk to me if you want I don't find this funny and will try to support you. Good luck with what you're trying to live with but you're doing I don't know what age you are but at 44 I am still struggling with this! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.