Why: peeing Problem ONLY in Supine Position.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Does anyone know, or is it classified( as everything else is  in UK & US) as to why voiding(peeing) seems to be problem when males is in supine (horizontal) position?

Does it have to do with pressure on bladder?  Nocturia-well how about afternoon nap-turia-  2nd & 3rd shift turia?

As I have blabbed about in another post-I don't find a good explanation on the internet-though I'm sure there is one somewhere.   Or would divulging this be the end of Western Civilization?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

This is not expert advice, but just my humble theory:

think of the urethra as a soft thin walled straw going thru the center of a large mass (the prostate). When standing vertical fluid flows down the straw easily (gravity). When laying horizontal not only does fluid not flow easily, but the weight of the large mass compresses the soft thin walled straw ( urethra). Combine this with the signals that may be sent to the brain from the urethra receiving this pressure and it may explain why we have to pee more at night and why it is more difficult.

Take this with a grain of salt as I used to think the world was flat.

• Posted

oops just lost what I wrote have to start over ... so no expert here but seen a lot in my life....You used the word supine then made it unclear with horizontal  do you  mean supine or prone ?  Well I can answer to each. Supine is no real problem for many, since we might pee the bed with our face up, prone is a little trickier. I don't think I have ever peed like that but  I have seen a few drunks who peed while face down. Of course like William said the pressure from the bladder surrounding the pee tube has a lot to do with it. 
  • Posted

I have had two instances recently that is opposite to this situation. Upon rising to pee and finding myself unable to get more than a mere trickle I don a "Depends" and return to bed, lie down, and in short order am able to urinate. May take a couple of minutes but eventually I am comfortable enough to return to sleep. 
  • Posted

So-am I to think that I am the only person with this problem?  Having to get out of bed(supine position) umpteen(many-many times) to pee?   I say this because of the lack of answers to my question.

Being a US citizen- I just may put in a FOIA request(Freedom of Information Act) to have Washington declassify the document that answers this(to me) vexing question.

• Posted

Hi cdog... When you say "peeing Problem ONLY in Supine Position." ... I'm unsure if you mean A: It's a problem to pee while laying flat on your back. Or B: You have an urge to pee frequently while laying flat on your back.

I suspect it's the latter (Not sure why anyone would want to pee while laying flat on their back, unless they were bedridden)... Either way, the cause of my nocturia is presently being investigated and one of the things I've noticed is the annoying urge to urinate if I lay back (supine) while taking a bath. This happens every single time, irrespective of having emptied my bladder minutes before bathing.

As mentioned above, I also suspect the issue is related to an increase in pressure being applied to our bladder and/or urethra due to our body's position, or perhaps the redistribution of fluid causes our bladder to send false signals to our brain, thus creating the urge to urinate?

Then again, you may be correct in saying the actual reason is designated as classified information and the answer know only to those responsible for homeland security. wink

Regards

BC

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.