Why shingles recurring when experts say it is a one time misfortune?

Posted , 10 users are following.

It is all over internet that shingles is a one time occurance and happens to about 30% of older people mostly with compromised immune system and a very rare second time for a small minority with really weak immune system but never a third.

In my case I have had cases of recurring shingles on my left hand palm 4 times already since May. It always starts with pain in my left arm and sensitive to touch skin around my left wrist and fingers having a tingling feeling followed by a cluster of small blisters which join up later to form larger blisters becoming sores (red) a week later and falling off the following week. Fortunately there are mild with some sharp pain but small and same area on my left palm rather than face or large area on other parts thank God. I always start anti-viral right away and it goes away fast.

However what has been said by experts worry me as it is supposed to be a once or twice in a lifetime occurance and for those with reasoned compromised immune system like cancer, HIV, Lupus so is it possible that I may have some hidden infection too? My blood count was normal and tested negative for a wide range of STDs recently and other than these shingles attacks I am healthy but what has been said as stated above about shingles being a one time occurance in healthy people worries me a lot.

Please share your comments or advices and thanks in advance.

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi this is Barbara in the UK. Well  went to the GP today and yes have got shingles back again - 5th time since October 2013. have the acyclovir anti viral tabs for a week. Feel absolutely wretched, can't describe it as usual. I too take lysine, along with vitamin B12 and Turmeric as I was told the latter  helps reduce pain ha ha no it doesn't for me at least. I suffer constantly with PHN and that pain now is so much worse that it's prevalent again. This disease sucks the life out of you. I know that I'm 67 now but I was always healthy and fit and active. I just wish, when people can travel to outer planets etc , that somebody could come up with a cure for this but nobody I've come across seems to care. I'm not ready to curl up and give up.
  • Posted

Hi All

This is Chris from London UK ( Ukulele girl) I also took Lysine don't know if it helped but worth a try. Like I said earlier I had the vaccine but still they came back, but nothing like they were before. I am glad I had it because the pain is now bearable. £170 well spent for me anyway. I also cut out lots of trigger foods which I got off this site some time ago, anything is worth a try. Take care. Chris.

• Posted

What are the trigger foods? I thought it was just stress that brought mine on.

• Posted

Just in case this helps............

Shingles is caused by 'varicella zoster virus'.

Zoster vaccine live (Zostavax) is an attenuated vaccine given to individuals age 60 or older for the prevention of shingles...GENERIC NAME: Zoster Vaccine Live (Shingles Vaccine) BRAND NAME: Zostavax...

Now whether a live vaccine can be given to someone whose immune system is compromised, I just don't know.  But a Pharmacist will know, not any other sort of medic  - a Pharmacist.

• Posted

The vaccine only works 50% of the time I think that people that have reoccurring shingles it's probably not as effective. I had the vaccine it seemed work for about nine months and then recurring shingles has come back with a vengeance I have more shingles outbreak's now than I did before I had the vaccine. They do have a new vaccine that should be coming out later this year it works a little differently. It is supposed to be more effective I cannot think of the name of that right now. When I get the name of it I will post it.

• Posted

Shingrix is an investigational shingles vaccine from GlaxoSmithKline, which plans to file for the vaccine’s FDA approval sometime this year. Shingrix is a nonlive, adjuvanted, subunit (HZ/su) candidate vaccine that combines glycoprotein E, a protein found on the VZV that causes shingles, with an adjuvant system AS01B, to enhance the immune response to the antigen.2

In phase 3 trials, 2 doses of Shingrix were administered to study participants intramuscularly 2 months. The vaccine was 97% effective against shingles in those 50 years and older, and it was 89.8% effective for those 70 years and older. Additionally, a pooled analysis showed Shingrix was 89% effective in preventing PHN in those 70 years and older and 91% effective in those 50 years and older.3 

The risk of serious adverse events was similar between the Shingrix and placebo groups. The most common adverse reactions reported were pain at the injection site and fatigue. Study limitations include that individuals with a history of shingles or those who previously received Zostavax were excluded.3

The results for Shingrix show promise for a more effective shingles vaccine. Patients 70 years and older would also have much greater protection, as Zostavax offers limited efficacy in this population. Additionally, the efficacy for protection against PHN is also higher with Shingrix than Zostavax. 

In contrast to previous clinical trials with Zostavax, HZ/su vaccine effectiveness did not diminish with age. Injection site reactions, such as redness and swelling were more common in the HZ/su group, relative to placebo. It is not yet clear how many years immunity would be sustained since the mean follow-up period in ZOE-50 was 3.2 years. An ongoing study known as ZOE-70 includes adults who are 70 years and older will determine HZ/su vaccine efficacy against post-herpetic neuralgia and other complications of herpes zoster in this older age group. While the results of ZOE-50 are encouraging, it is likely the vaccine will remain experimental until the ZOE-70 study is complete. Because Shingrix requires 2 doses, patient compliance may be an issue. Patients who previously received Zostavax and those who experienced episodes of shingles should be included in future studies. However, they should still be candidates for Shingrix, as Zostavax’s efficacy decreases over time.   This information came out in September 2016.

This came in January 2017....

In contrast to previous clinical trials with Zostavax, HZ/su vaccine effectiveness did not diminish with age. Injection site reactions, such as redness and swelling were more common in the HZ/su group, relative to placebo. It is not yet clear how many years immunity would be sustained since the mean follow-up period in ZOE-50 was 3.2 years. An ongoing study known as ZOE-70 includes adults who are 70 years and older will determine HZ/su vaccine efficacy against post-herpetic neuralgia and other complications of herpes zoster in this older age group. While the results of ZOE-50 are encouraging, it is likely the vaccine will remain experimental until the ZOE-70 study is complete.

• Posted

Hello Kevin,

I have had shingles and Post Herpetic Neuralgia several times. I have had the vaccine, but it seems not to prevent a recurrence. My Doctor advised it could come back, during times of depression, or shock. The sites I have searched say recurrence is uncommon, however in 1 in 50 cases it could return. (I don't call that uncommon!) I am from the UK, so there may be differing opinions.

Pauline 

• Posted

Thanks for response and sharing pauline. Yes I have also read that recurring shingles is very rare and mostly for those with badly compromised immune system is what concerns me a lot that may be I have some hidden health problems as why I asked members to share their experiences with recurring shingles if they are otherwise healthy so that I feel not alone and to know that it is not unusual to be healthy and have recurring shingles.

On a new development I am begnning to wonder if my case is actually simplex rather than zoster because usually it is simplex which has the characteristics of returning same spot for a variety of reasons in many of those infected with HSV (I was tested negative for all STDs except HSV which my  doctor said one can catch in childhood by innocent family kiss). I have exhausted the literature and pictures and really it is impossible to distinguish between herpes simplex and herpes zoster symptoms and sores.

• Posted

Get a biopsy. I've had a biopsy and mine is shingles. I get it in several different spots now but, before I turned 50 I always got it in the same two spots either on the right side of my back are the left side of my back in the exact same place.

• Posted

"Recurrent shingles" is a misnomer.  All of us on this site have postherpetic neuralgia.  There is a new drug in trials called EMA401 said to reduce the pain by 30% without side effects.  My doctor gave me the contact number if you're in enough pain to want to get in the study.  It's 1-203-989-2100.  Unfortunately, postherpetic neuralgia is a life-long ailment.  Postherpetic neuralgia only effects about 1 in 10 of people that get shingles, but it sounds like you're one of the lucky ones.
    • Posted

I am not sure how misnomer is recurring shingles as many on this forum have posted and complained about it. But I am second guessing that may be those with recurring case like myself have actually symptoms of simplex which recurring is a common thing than zoster (shingles). I for one am totally unable to distinguish between the two by what is written about them and related pictures. They are identical. You are right so far I haven't had postherpetic neuralgia. Good news that there will be a new vaccine which would close to 100% prevent shingles forever. It will be available in 2017.
    • Posted

Hi a Faith. Just wondered which country you live in to be able to take part in this trial.

regards

• Posted

Hi,  I'm in America (New Mexico).  The original pharmaceutical company (Spinifex) I believe was based in the UK, but my doc told me it was recently bought by Novartis. 
  • Posted

Hi. I am the OP. Well I found an article reassuring me that shingles recurr in ammunocompetent people too. Good to know.

http://www.news-medical.net/news/20110202/Study-finds-recurrences-of-shingles-prevalent-in-the-immunocompetent-population.aspx

Regards,

Kevin

• Posted

I just scroll down ....and I see that you know of the article. I sent you in that long message. At the end of the message it talks about other reasons people could get "reoccurring shingles" you can probably Google for that article also.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.