why so many negative stories about antidepressants

Posted , 5 users are following.

first of all happy 🐣 evryone and i hope evry one that suffers gets well soon, (we will) , i m person that reads the paper evry day and i know most people here do to , do u hate it when u read about antidepressants dont work , they make people violence , homocides , suicidel ,, and  it gets u thinkin well i m takin it and i m not like that,, plus gets anxiety hight scared sometime so much that i dont belivet, but u think can they really make u like that,,, u get confused... Whats do u think people is not right,,, 🤷???🤷???

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

Hi ben

For some people one particular one might not work but a different one might.Its down to each individual but i think more people are becoming more awate of depression and anxiety. Its like anything printed in the papers u take it with a pinch of salt .I wouldnt have got through it without anti depressants and im not ashamed to tell anybody

• Posted

There are many scaremongers out there who've either not been successful or had a bad experience on antidepressants themselves so are very negative about them, or they're written by people who think they know everything about anti depressants ..... yet have never taken them.

Yes there are true incidents where the meds can make people violent etc but equally there are just as many (probably more) stories of people who've been extremely successful on them.  Trouble is, the people who've been successful often don't write about it as they just get on with their happy lives, and its just the negative's you read.

I always say - don't read negative stories.  When you're recovering you're quite susceptible to picking up on the negatives which will only add to your anxiety ....... yet when you're better you'll look at the negative stories and just laugh.  Just do not read them - they will just hamper your recovery.

There are side effects and outcomes resulting from other medicines, yet you don't see negative stories about them.  People seem to have a 'downer' on anti depressants, always have done and probably because the general consensus is 'its all in your mind so pull your socks up, get on with life and stop all this nonsense'.  And as we all know, its a completely different picture being the sufferer (and lets face it, don't we all WANT to pull our socks up and get on with life, but just can't, so often we need help).  Anti depressants are for a particular problem just the same as any other medicine, yet people would never think twice when being prescribed with other medicines (oh I'm not taking THAT and I'll just get on with suffering with gout / diabetes / heart / migraine ...... etc).

I for one can say SSRI's have been a miracle for both me and my son.  Without them I'm not sure where I'd be ........

• Posted

we’ll said,, and thank you again for the link u sent me before i read that book ... and by the way my socks are half way up stil got a long way to recovery.... 
    • Posted

Haha biggrin  glad to hear to socks are half pulled up

I swear by that book - Everything written in it really just makes sense.

By the way - are you on 60mg?  40mg is the maximum dose in the UK and I believe US too.  Mind you, don't just stop taking your dose but talk to your Health Care Professional or Doctor.

• Posted

mmmm i m only on 10mg , i know is a smal dose but i tri alote other things , exorcise, is stil erly i have only been on it for 2 months and if it helps i will tri stay on it as longes as i can mabey after 2 years or so go down on 5mg becouse i never wan this hell of a feeliing bk,,,by they way i m from uk... london
    • Posted

the book is really gd and is the same old anxity most of the symptoms are the same i can relate to that book , but i have to thank you for the site ...
    • Posted

Ah .... haha, my bad reading.  You'd written 'on day 60' and my brain read that as 'on 60mg'.  Sorry ...... I blame Easter (or the chocolate) cheesygrin

Yes exercise helps so much.

I'm no far from you then - I'm in Oxfordshire.

• Posted

no not that far,, but i think ur far away with all the experience u have on anxiety and depression,, and me i m new to this scare 🙂 i pray 10mg will work me !!! 

• Posted

I just suffered for so long then took the meds for such a long time they just became part of me confused  

Easy for me to say, but try not to be scared of it - that's what this anxiety is ... being scared of the anxiety.    There's always an answer - if the 10mg does't work, then just increase by 5mg which isn't a huge jump and lessons any potential side effects (probably won't feel them at all).  But give the 10mg time - you'll find the dose that's best for you.

Understanding anxiety and trust in the meds - they'll work together.

K x

• Posted

Ben I do read the paper every day and agree with you. But I also agree with Lois before antidepressants. And I’m also agreeing with Michelle. I have no shame telling someone I’m on this and now I take the newspaper comments with a grain of salt . I’m still a newbie today is Day 38. I’m still combatting the side effects. They change daily. It’s a mind game. I thank you all for the strength you’ve given me each day! 😎👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼 

• Posted

Yes will the side effects will be like that for a few months..so hang on..you will get better trust me...
    • Posted

yep i m on day 60 today and feel bit spaced out getting there slowly,, we will recover one day and look back say that was a journey!!! 
    • Posted

I’m trying very hard Lois. Thank you for the pep talk. I need it at times. I’m so elated I found this blog cause it’s you and everyone else keeping me going. 😎

• Posted

Hey Ben, you are 22 days ahead of me and also 10 mg. It’s been a struggle. I do find exercise helps a lot I walk almost every day depending on the weather. The warm weather is coming. What kind of symptoms are you getting. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.