Why stop drinking?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm 76 yrs of age, 40 pounds overweight, controlled high blood pressure, work out 1-1 1/2 hours per day rowing and swimming. Spend 4 hours a day or so, out on the deck with my wife, talking and enjoying the amazing water and geographical views from it, she does not want me to stop, says it makes me morose, I have bi-polar disease, and booze and grass (along with a happy light in the winter - I live in a northern climate). Feel great physically when I stop, but the price is I'm too damn sober in my outlook -- plainly put, I don't laugh, tell jokes, play music, and I could be anthropomorphized as a pill. Why stop drinking now, I started when I was 15 playing with Polish bands, gypsy bands, rock bands. I'm stronger physically than almost any of the guys at the gym who are my age,I've lived a hell of a lot longer than I thought I would. 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

You are lucky to get to 76years with your health intact, they is no need to stop drinking now maybe u can just cut down l know of people who stopped in their 70s and died bcoz their body was used to alcohol and the shock your body goes through bcoz the alcohol is missing can kill you, good luck l am glad u are having fun.
  • Posted

RICHART -- thanks for the advice, yesterday, after some research I realized how risky just stopping can be. In my prior attempts - 14 months the longest, I just stopped. Ain't gonna do that again - again thanks.
  • Posted

Why indeed.

u have made every point why not. As long as u r where u r then who is going to tell u all the reasons why u should stop & what alcohol does to UR body and brain, early dementia, liver disease etc. But UR so healthy . Been drinking since a teen. It's must agree with u.

who needs to laugh play jokes or listen to music when UR sober.....makes no sense to me al all.

ur depressed when UR sober and anxious that's usually the reason most drink. My guess is that by drinking u r self medicating rather than getting to the root of UR lifestyle that could help u stay sober and laugh and joke etc without self medicating with alcohol.  Then again u say UR healthy so why stop?????? It's quite a quandary !

have you ever been in denial? I do not believe for one minute that u are as healthy as u say u r. Alcohol takes a toll on everyone after a lifetime of drinking. 

So what do you think u can do to answer your question to feel joy, happiness without alcohol?

HOPE4CURE

IM A mother of a alcoholic son who started drinking when he was a teen.. He self medicates and needs more and more alcohol to get that happy feeling until he blacks out. He in the 3rd stage of kidney disease not to mention mental illness from years of alcohol shrinks the brain, and he's only 38. That's when things get dangerous when u don't think u need to stop.

Read my story on this site. ...maybe it will help,answer yourstatement, " Why stop drinking"!

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I am in as good health as I think - rode my bike 30 miles yesterday,swam 1/2 hour (but will admit over the years -55 since the service I gained about 40 pounds). If I keel over from a stroke or heart attack - it's a great way to go. In the meantime your story is heartbreaking, but in my case, I'll just keep on chugging.
    • Posted

There are a couple of things I would like to add. I was in the hospital in my adult life once for gall bladder removal about 40 yrs ago, twice I was in the emergency room because the doc's gave me medicine to which I was allergic (a form of penicilliine AFTER telling them I was allergic to it; and an overdose of medicine) -- out of the hospital in a couple of hours in both cases. Otherwise - - never. I have an annual exam since medicare, ALWAYS check my liver and other vital signs, the docs say I'm in good shape. I really believe that concentrated and extended physical exercise is an amerliorating factor. I've done some things which I did not mention, but they were unusual -- 4 marathons in one week with 10-15 miles on days in between;riding up the mountains to my home on my bike -- about 5,000- feet elevation gain on numerous occasions etc..

So, on that note, I think I'm ready for that first drink of the day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.