Why Take Statins?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am a 73 year old male who Cholesterol results began to rise since having a lot of stress since 2012.

I was prescribed atorvastatin which did give me some aches in my legs but to to much to worry me about.

After a blood test I visited my GP who was completely puzzled by the results. My Good Cholesterol wasn't even reaching the start of the scale, my bad Cholesterol was OK as was all the other tests that go with the blood test.

My GP changed me to another statin and asked to see how this one goes for a while.

The new Stain gave me more side effects, so after another blood test I visited another GP in my Surgery who found my blood test were similar to the last one.

Then this GP said "do you want to know a how I keep my cholesterol down?" I eat 6 almonds nuts a day and they keep my cholesterol at an acceptable level.

That GP didn't say anything about stopping my Statins, but I took it upon myself to stop and start eating almonds nuts instead. When I stopped the statins my total cholesterol was 5.2 after 6 months of just eating Almonds my blood test showed my total cholesterol was 3.8 with the good and bad cholesterol sitting in the correct place on the scales.

My GP has stopped giving me Statins but is still amazed how I reduced my cholesterol down to 3.8 in total.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Edited

Thank you for telling us your experience. Cholesterol numbers are high on doctors list of thing to test for. I have not heard about the almonds before. My wife eats many of them and her cholesterol total is always around 260 USA. Under 200 is desirable. LDL should be under 99. My doctor also wanted me to take atorvastatin . But I also do not like side effects. I looked up supplements and found cholest off. It made my total cholesterol drop very quickly and my doctor is now happy with my numbers. But, my bad LDL is still too high. And since my cholesterol has been lower, my knees are starting to have some nerve pain. I wonder if it's connected somehow. Exercise seems to be the best medicine.

• Posted

I'm starting with Cholestoff and have been on it for less than a month at this point. Fingers crossed. I actually heard about it on this forum. Maybe it was you yourself.

Im going to buy almonds and keep them supplied.

• Posted

Hi Diane: It was probably me. I bought a curo cholesterol tester. It only tests total cholesterol but that lets me know if I'm taking too much cholestoff. I have actually gone below 100 and my meter just says Lo. I just take one with lunch and one with dinner. And for some reason I can skip a day and my cholesterol stays under 160. My regular blood work checkup will be in early Feb. and I will post the results here.

• Posted

Thank Jonathan . . . . this is exactly what we need here on this forum - actual experimentation with alternative methods. As I said I'm on the Cholestoff as of 1 month and I'm also going to buy almonds and keep them in supply.

Looking forward to hearing about your results from your February checkup and best of luck with that !

• Edited

Hi Diane: I just got my results and I am disappointed that total cholesterol was still at 205. What is interesting is that right after the test, I checked my cholesterol right in the car and it was 150, so I am puzzled as to what is going on. I am going to stay on the cholestoff but I am going to add another similar supplement. I have added Vitamin C crystals to my morning water because it helps the body keep arteries soft and pliable so there are fewer cracks that need to be repaired by the body. From what I have read, higher cholesterol is not always dangerous. It is important to do some exercise daily and eat lots of greens so the body is protected from the cholesterol. Please post your results as you get them. I will post mine in 3 months or so.

PS: I have learned to always copy my replies before hitting the POST button.

• Posted

Wow, thank you for the tip regarding the benefits of almonds.

I've heard so many stories like yours about people like us who are just not tolerant of statins. In fact there are so many of us now that the medical profession has revamped its attitude towards the dangerous drugs and is pushing them less.

I am wondering how many of my contemporaries who are in wheelchairs are in them because of a lifetime of taking statins and not understanding that all the pain they were in was their bodies being slowly destroyed by a drug.

• Posted

All I can say the Almonds worked for me I only have six a day as eating to many can put weight on and that's some thing we all should avoid.

But the strangest thing was the GP who past on how she kept her Cholesterol down.

But as I said in my original post she didn't tell me to stop my statins or try the Almonds.

I suppose she couldn't tell me to stop and try what she was doing as I doubt she wouldn't be allowed. She just past on how she keeps her cholesterol under control, the rest was up to me if I tried it or not.

I must say, the reduction didn't happen over night it took approximately 6 months to notice on my regular blood tests.

Remember I am not a medical person, just a patient like the rest of you guys on the forum so what worked for me may not work for someone else who suffers with other medical conditions as well high Cholesterol.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.