Why was EDOF invented if Trifocal is better?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Why was EDOF invented if Trifocal is better?

Is Technis Synergy a Trifocal? allows those who want to match symfony with a trifocal and remain in technis family.

0 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

The results with Tecnis Synergy IOL seem to be very encouraging:

*The Johnson & Johnson Vision R&D team disrupted the traditional IOL development approach – designing the optimal defocus curve for clinical performance, then developing the technology to deliver against it. The result – a revolutionary lens that:

Gives broad range of continuous vision covering from distance to 33 cm

Eliminates the visual gapspresent in trifocal and other multifocal technology, offering patients the freedom to focus within the range

Continues to deliver superior performance in low-light conditions

Violet-filtering technology demonstrates reduction in halo intensityfor tasks like night driving, as demonstrated in clinical simulations

The TECNIS Synergy™ IOL is a game-changer," said Dr. Francesco Carones, MD, Medical Director and Physician CEO of Carones Vision, Milan, Italy. "I am delighted with the results my patients have had. With some lenses, patients can find it hard to focus on objects at certain points, but the continuous vision provided by TECNIS Synergy™ IOL smooths out those visual 'gaps.' Best of all, the lens continues to perform, even as light dwindles."

I spoke with a surgeon using the new Synergy IOL and yes, encouraging results!

• Posted

Some more info here:

• Posted

Did you find this on clinicaltrials.gov? I looked a month or two ago and couldn't find anything so maybe the synergy will be approved in the US by next summer

• Posted

does anyone know how much time did it take for symfony to be approved in US after europe launch?

• Posted

Interesting question so I looked up some data.

Tecnis Symfony - CE Mark June 2014, FDA approval July 2016

Alcon Panoptix - CE Mark June 2015, FDA Approval August 2019

If you want the Synergy soks, maybe it's time to plan a trip to Europe 😃

• Posted

i would do that. but its difficult to research european surgeons than American surgeons. i was to go to UK if i had gone the Zeiss route.

Synergy CE mark would be September 2019.

• Posted

Found this investigation. Hope that the moderators will not cut it off.

It is basically an attempt to aggregate the results form 9 different studies. And they only compare Symfony with mono- and tri-focals.

There is no a lot of surprises there.

Yeah, all lenses are great in distance, EDOF and trifocals are great in intermediate and trifocal is better in near.

At the same time EDOFs and trifocals give the same spectacle Independence.

The contrast is the best in monofocal and is reduced in trifocals. EDOF is somewhere in between including both sides. While some studies didn't find difference between EDOF and monofocal , other didn't find difference between EDOF and trifocal.

Similar situation with halos. Although most of the studies found no significant difference between EDOF and trifocal.

One thing makes me be skeptical about all these results. In the Postoperative Complication section they wrote "One study reported 0 and 5% of patients had posterior capsule opacification 12 months postoperatively in the EDOF IOL group and trifocal IOL group respectively " - WHAT??? I have difficult time to believe in 5% but 0%... Really??? What kind of study was that? Taking into account that different studies has different results on pretty much objective thing like "contrast sensitivity" makes me think even more that all these studies is a bu...it and cannot answer pretty simple question - "what of 2 similar things is better".

• Posted

I have seen a lot of different studies, one of them with outcomes from more than 10.000 surgeries.

But comparison is always difficult, because testing is made in different ways under different circumstances.

Be aware, that many surgeons makes micro/mini monovision with the edof, to give better near, you can´t see this in the statistics. And often measurements used in the studies are what they call "best corrected" vision at the different distances, which means when they correct for refractive errors with glasses.

About pco, this is also relative, because pco is not a yes/no situation.

The posterior capsule opacification is a natural process, and will happen to anyone in the time following the surgery, and this is actually what we want, because this is what secures the iol in capsular bag.

But if there is a lot of posterior capsule opacification in the area in the middle right behind the iol, it can interfere to much with the light.

At my own checkups I asked about pco, and i was told I had was was expected and normal, and nothing that really had an impact to the vision quality yet.

She pointed to the matt desk pad under her pc keyboard, and said, this is how it looks like for me, when it is time to use the yag laser.

So when the iol have settled after 6 month, in theory we all have pco, but it should only be fixed with laser, when it gets to have a density that interferes with vision quality.

I agree that studies do not say what is best, but I must admit I don´t think that would be possible, it would be like saying what is best, a sports car or a pickup truck, that depends on how you use your car is guess 😃

• Edited

OK. The first step is done. Lara was implanted 23 hours ago. Everything went as expected (as the surgeon said). My vision with the eye is not perfect yet but I believe it should improve in next few days/weeks.

I had some mild astigmatism in the eye (-1.25). It could be fixed with a torric lens. But the surgeon said that it is not too much and it can also be fixed in another way (by polishing the cornea somehow) during the same surgery without extra cost. I agreed that it is probably better way since if the torric lens rotates a bit it will not help. So we went with an ordinary (not torric) lens. The polishing procedure was not super pleasant, but nothing extraordinary either. Just a little bit of pressure on the eye. And I don't think it took more than 5 min.

I felt like I have a gravel in my eye after the operation for about 6-7 hours (from 6:30PM till about 1AM). Then when I woke up at 6AM it was gone.

The sharpness is definitely better now than it used to be (-15), of course. And I don't have any tripling or doubling with that eye anymore. The vision I have now is pretty bright, but the contrast is low. It is like I'm in the fog especially when there is a lot of light. And the white lite is much whiter now than it used to be and that I still see with the untouched eye. Let me put it this way. The temperature of the lights in my house is 2700-2800 Kelvin. Now I see it like 3500 if not 4000K.

I do see halos and starbursts. The halos are pretty similar (if not smaller) to what I had before the surgery. The starbursts are different though, but not very intense. If this is the best they've got then I'm pretty confident I'll be able to handle them even if they will not improve as they are supposed too. Yesterday on the way from the clinic I saw thin circles when we approached street lights. I also saw them at home from the spot lights sporadically. But today I didn't notice a single one yet.

A couple of side effects that I didn't heard about before:

• Yesterday, when I try to look at my operated eye in a mirror, the eye was slowly sliding aside. WHOoooo That was spooky 😃 I'm ready for Halloween 😃. I decided not to mess up with it too much though. Today I believe this weirdness is gone.
    • Today I've noticed that the color (brown) of the operated eye become a bit lighter. My wife (Lisa) confirmed it and said that she likes the color of the not operated eye better:(. I hope when I install Lisa into another eye she will be delighted 😃 . Anyway, I don't know if it is temporary or not. Maybe the lens reflects some light back so it eye become lighter?

Well... I think that's it for now. My control visit to the doctor is on Friday. Hope my sight will improve by then.

• Posted

Sorry, I meant to write it in different thread but I hope this thread is also more or less suitable. It is about EDOF at least 😃

• Posted

Nice to hear surgery went well!

And yes, it will continue to improve day by day, at some point there will also be days where it gets worse,and we all get s shock when that happens, but it is normal, and overall it will improve the next couple of month.

• Posted

congrats on the surgery and thanks for sharing. looks like your surgeon did lateral incisions to take care of your astigmatism. that's a great idea. they really only make toric for 1.5 and above. in my experience the light circles disappeared in a smudged halo as PCO kicked in. interestingly my wife made the same comment that my operated eye had become lighter. i had made fun of her by saying that how can it be they did not change my iris. i would be interested to know how much near you got with the lara lens.

• Posted

Likely eye color lighter due to cataract removal. My dog when she was 15 I noticed his eyes had a different tint (they get cataracts too).

Glad surgery went well. I am sure vision will fluctuate and can't wait to hear how it is in a few days time once swelling and incision starts to heal.

Did they give you the plastic pirate patch - now you are ready for halloween.

• Posted

soks, for now I don't have much of the near vision. The intermediate and distance are not prefect either (as i mentioned before). However, what I can confirm is that the sharpest vision I have starts from aprox. 50cm. and then it seems to be the same to infinity. I cannot notice any soft spots. So it looks like Lara really works as it is supposed to work. I hope I will get some (better) near vision when the distance and intermediate improve.

Yes, I believe it was lateral incisions. But I'm going to ask the surgeon on Friday to be sure.

• Posted

Sue.An2, believe me, the pirate patch cannot compare with the eye moving away while another eye stands still 😃))

• Posted

Welcome to the Zeiss IOL club Mak 😃

Compulsory membership is $100 per week.

$40 goes to Viking (Zeiss IOL + Multifocal IOL).

$20 goes to me (Zeiss IOL but Monofocal).

$40 to be divided amongst everyone else lol

• Posted

Did you get some extra meds the rest of us didn't - lol

• Posted

OMG. Any discounts for high myopic members? 😃

• Posted

Only one magic pill as far as I remember. Maybe it was some "Chrisitania edition" pill?.. 😃

• Posted

The anesthetist did joke that he was giving my wife the same med that Michael Jackson took lol

• Posted

OMG. Any discounts for high myopic members? 😃

Discount? High myopic members get charged a higher rate actually. Thanks for your honesty 😃

• Posted

Off course we can offer a discount, don´t be like that W-H.

Normally it cost extra $50 for high myopic members over -5, but in this case, since there is a strong connection to Denmark, we can accept only $30 extra 😃

Off course you need to accept the offer within 24 hours, or price will go up 😃

• Edited

Mak is fully aware that vision is priceless so he won't hesitate to pay up.

What he does not know is that the "moving eye" glitch that he experienced was actually controlled by us from our Zeiss IOL remote software control department 😃

Jeez imagine a future upgradable electronic IOL where you have to pay monthly subscription fees. If you stop paying, your IOL gets remotely switched off or goes into basic maintenance mode and all you are able to see is a spinning logo of the manufacturer 😃

• Posted

Hopefully with a different outcome!Too funny.

• Posted

Apparently I managed to hack your remote controller. No uncontrolled eye movements for 2 days 😃

W-H, actually, your idea about controlling lenses remotely is probably not too far from reality. When I was reading about different accommodating lenses I found that there is one lens that is controlled electronically. It literally changes the optic power itself depending on situation. It contains some chip and of course it contains a battery (accumulator). The battery charge is enough for about 2-3 days. My first question was - how to charge it? But I think this problem is solved the same way as modern phones can be charged contactlessly. Before the battery is fully uncharged it puts the lens into the distance vision mode (it is considered to be the most useful/safe) .

I also believe that these lenses have some communication port so their firmware can be updated or at least to be able to check the status of the lens.

I don't know if they already implanted these lenses into human eyes though.

• Edited

Here is some update (5 days after surgery)

3 days ago I started to wear a contact lens in my not operated LE so it feels more comfortable and I can compare to some degree my old and new vision. The contact lens is not perfect and I'm going to try a better one (with astigmatism correction) next week but it is better than my old glasses.

First day my operated RE was comparable with the LE (with the contact lens) but I liked the LE better. I decided that I'm not doing anything with the LE before the RE over-perform it. The distance and intermediate sharpness was about the same but the colors in the LE were warmer and more vivid. RE colors were cold and pale. Bright light turned into a foggy vision. I also checked my night vision and was slightly disappointed. Halos and starbursts were pretty bad. On Zeiss website they have 4 pictures for None, Mild, Moderate and Severe. I would put myself into Moderate bucket. Fortunately my LE is fine so I believe I will be able to drive at night with it. But I wouldn't dare to do it if I had the same side effects in the LE as well. However it was just 48 hours after the surgery so I do not panic yet.

Next morning I visited the clinic for the control check. My Doc. said that everything looks fine. They measure my vision as 0.8 (if I'm not mistaken it corresponds to 20/25). It was probably correct but honestly I didn't feel like it is so good. Anyway, the Doc said that it will be improving in next few weeks. And I have no reason to not believe it because it is already improving and improving since then. Today my RE is definitely better (in sense of sharpness) than the LE. Don't know if it is 20/20 already but I can't remember when/if I had a better (corrected) vision in my whole life. I was enjoying driving my car today. It is so clear and deep. Yes, the colors in the RE still seem cold and slightly pale but I'm getting used to it. Even though I like warm colors of the LE better, I'm not sure if these colors are actually correct. Perhaps they are like this because of the cataract. Different color temperature adds some unbalance and more work for the brain but it is manageable. It should be easier when the LE is operated as well so the colors are the same in both eyes. But as I said before - the night vision is a show stopper for operating the second eye for now. I'm going to wait until I'm sure that the side effects are gone or at least do not bother me. And I believe it should be better and better. I think that was even marginally better on Friday comparing with Thursday. I didn't check it yesterday (Saturday) but going to do it today.

I asked the Doc about the astigmatism correction. He confirmed that that was relaxing incisions. When he was talking about "polishing" during the surgery he meant polishing the capsule (not cornea). I suspect that there is still some astigmatism left but maybe it also requires a bit more time. Will check it in 2 weeks.

OK... While the distance and intermediate visions are already very good and keep improving, the near vision is weak. It is not a surprise for Lara, but I hoped that my LE could do the job better. Apparently my RE helped a lot for the near vision before the surgery. Now it cannot help as much. Nevertheless, I can read texts (the same fonts as before) on my phone with some efforts on about 40cm. distance. Working on a laptop at 50cm. is great and working with bigger computer monitors at 70-80cm is excellent.

So... Overall - so far so good. I just hope that the night vision will improve significantly but I realize that it can take few months so I'm probably stuck with a contact lens for a while.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.