Why won't anyone diagnose Osteoarthritis.

Posted , 9 users are following.

Ok i'm new to this!!  For the past 6 years i have had left hip pain on and off.  Recently, my right hip has went the same way, but unlike previous times with my left hip, i am struggling to recover!!  I'm in alot of pain, find it hard to move around sometimes.  The joint isn't swollen and an xray showed nothing as did blood tests.  I have all the classic symptoms of this condition so why wont my doctor listen to me?  Atm i have no diagnosis and am awaiting to see the Osteopath but have been on the list a long time.  I've been off work since September and feeling really down as i have no diagnosis!!  Anyone else had the same or similar problems?

3 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Kimmy, think I replied to you a few weeks ago. Your symptoms sound similar to mine, I changed doctor (am in UK), got an xray immediately (amazing!) and today went for the results, I've been diagnosed with Congenital Hip Dysplasia - I always thought that was something dogs get and hadn't considered it for myself at all!

There are two options, osteotomy or replacement, I'm 49 by the way. I have been referred now to the orthopaedic surgeon.

Are you still struggling, how are your symptoms, maybe this could be what you've got?

If you're not happy change doctors and get a different opinion, my first doctor didn't even look at me to talk and decided it was iliotibial band syndrome. She was clearly way off the mark.

• Posted

Qs FOR THE NHS. My doctor (Swffhm) told me that because I have finger osteoarthritis (though no blood tests ever given) it follows that my very bad back/hip pain with sciatica is most likely to be "some osteoarthritis".   3 months so far.  And at times leg weakness now back stiffness and pain, She will not let me have an X ray.  Are they trying to save the NHS money? or is this ageism (when I was young I was offered an Xray). (Permitting people to get worse into very old age) In the 90s I did have a scan after "slipped" discs which showed nerve involvement. I cannot rest mentally while not knowing  WHERE. Ie, the precise location of the pain-causing joint and whether I might have any fractures or initial arthritis:-   whether it might be either at an intervertebral disc, the sacroileac joint area or even the hip itself. I need to know as I already have a lower bowel problem. Are they forcing us to pay out bundles of money going to physio therapists? (I paid to see to one and she mentioned the pyriformis muscle as a possible cause thought it feels joint-caused to me).  Relatives are getting  Xrays in Kent, and physio and gym on the NHS (is it because they are in receipt of certain benefits?).  What is going on with the system? NHS is sadly not into the "scientific method" of investigating health of human body.   Employing some stoicism, I had deliberately kept away from A & E and doctors during the first weeks of this (hoping it might go away much more quickly on its own).  If I had gone to A & E maybe the GP would realise it hurst and have the decency to investigate me properly in the hope that knowledge can help avert any future disablement.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.